I couldn't find a Derek Trucks topic here. He's definitely one of my top few favorites. Not just his playing (which is otherworldly), but his entire vibe, appreciation of music and music heritage, etc.

Came across this interview today. I think all music fans should spend 20 minutes listening to Derek Trucks talk about music.

I agree with your comments about Derek, worldrecordplayer. I particularly love his statement that "its not repeating things that have already been done, its just playing honest music". I love to hear Derek say what I feel about music, which is that playing something real and honest and expressive and evocative and passionate is the most important thing, even if its been done a million times before. Originality in art is so over-valued, IMO. You can't go see the great masters live anymore, so its really a gift to the world for there to still be torchbearers for all the great styles of music from the past. The fact that Derek both understands this and has the knowledge, skill, and dedication to pull off this approach makes him a musical treasure in my book.

I got to see him several times when he was a young boy. His range of playing styles was much more limited then, but his playing ability was amazing. I saw him sit in with Buddy Guy in 1994. It was pretty incredible to hear Buddy play a line, then hear a teenage Trucks play it back, note for note, but with a slide.

There was always something different about him than all the other young hotshot guitar players.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased the Tedeschi Trucks Band live CD 'Everybody's Talking' over the weekend. Wow - what a terrific album! Certainly the best live CD I have heard for years. Some of Derek's guitar work on this album is simply incendiary - particularly his slide solo on 'Midnight in Harlem' which is right up there with Duane Allman's legendery solo on 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed'. In fact the whole album is a worthy successor to the Allman Bros 'Live at Fillmore East' - it's that good.

The whole band, which includes a horn section, are killer and Susan Tedeschi is in fine voice throughout - both soulful and bluesy. Another highlight is their cover of John Sebastian's 'Darling Be Home Soon' - a beautiful extended workout which just builds and builds but never gets indulgent.