Radiohead stage collapse, Toronto

That show was supposed to be my final one of the North American tour, but I backed out. I knew about a dozen people getting ready to enter when it fell, and they're all very shaken. My heart goes out to the family of Scott Johnson, the drum tech that was killed. It makes me wonder which one of the guys I was watching behind the kits for the last two weeks is not with us anymore. While I'm not as tight with Radiohead crew as I am with other bands, myself and a lot of (mildly) insane Radiohead fans are at a loss right now. That band is kind to a fault, and works with very warm and gracious people; I'm sure the whole camp is going to take some time to get back to normal.

To quote a friend that was at the show, finishing out what was a spectacular summer tour on the continent: It's like a box of happy memories destroyed in a fire.

I saw them in Michigan this year (first time they returned in about 15 years), and I noticed that a couple of the 12 mobile dangling displays had dead pixels in them. But I didn't see anything wrong or dangerous with the wiring. Just that the staff used a lot of precaution when ascending to the stage ceiling.

My sympathy and condolences to fans, friends, and family of the crews and bands.