In the past few years, I discovered a whole new world of board games out there, mostly German: Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Agricola.

Oh man...'Settlers' was a gateway drug into the world of board games for me...not to offend because I still love it, but it seems like a quaint game these days in comparison to some others.

If you love Power Grid, Puerto Rico, and Agricola I would HIGHLY recommend El Grande. Love it. The perfect mix of strategy, skill, a bit of luck and a psychological component that will require you to guess your opponents' intentions at certain points...mind f#@!.

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. boardgamegeek.com has been my resource for new games. We've settled in on Power Grid for when it's a family weekend.

We NEVER play Agricola any more. Takes too long to set up. We never even got past the "simple" version of the game.

Has anyone here ever played the political board game called Lie, Cheat and Steal? So much fun, and so much underhanded double-dealing amongst players, who switch allegiances whenever it's advantageous to do so. :lol I ought to dig that out again and teach it to the kids.

http://boardgamegeek.com/

If you love board games, that is a great reference spot.

Competitive:

Battlestar Galactica has almost torn my friends apart even though it's so much fun. I prefer to call it Battlscars Galactica. The skill ceiling in this game is mainly in the politics. The skill required is entirely dependent on your opponent.

Ticket To Ride has provided tons of fun and has an easy entry level from my perspective. Who doesn't like trains? I would highly recommend everyone to play this game because of its easy entry and high skill ceiling.

Power Grid is still one of my favorite games of all time. But I like to do math.

I know I saw some Puerto Rico mention above, and I do take it out once in a while.

It's been a while since I played Ra, but I know I enjoyed it a lot.

Dominion has made me and my friends lose lots of sleep. It's a non-collectible card game where you must build a deck of cards to help you acquire the most victory points possible.

Ascension is a non-collectible card game where you race against your friends to defeat the monsters spawned, by building a deck similar to Dominion.

I started playing Kingdom Builder with my friends a couple weeks back. It's not bad. It reminds me a little bit of Settlers Of Catan.

Non-Competitive:

Pandemic,... and I urge you not to take this out of context. But the map,... ugh... screw the Middle East. You must race against time to contain and stop the pandemic from spreading with your teammates. The infections in the Middle East have cost us the game on consecutive occasions.

Sentinels Of The Multiverse is a pretty fun game for especially for the kids. This game has the best flavor I've seen.

Well, then, have fun.

Anyone here ever play this one?

51HkrzKLTjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My boys love it (of course).

And it IS a lot of fun:

It's been a tough day in the monkey cage and something in the food tonight wasn't quite right. In monkey world, there's only one thing that can be done about it—fling poo!

Poo is a fast-paced card game for 2 to 8 players, requiring anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to play. It's fast and furious—something you can play while waiting in line or on lunch break.

Each player takes on the role of a monkey. You fling poo and mess with each other until only one monkey is left standing. That monkey, of course, is the cleanest one. Each turn, every player gets to draw and play a card, usually either to fling poo at another player or to clean himself off. Out of turn, each player gets to play cards to defend himself or foil other players' poo flinging.