I'm a huge Callier fan, really sad to hear that.

Time to break out "What Color Is Love."

Howard Reich may have written about his death, but I didn't see anything in the physical paper. I knew of him (own a CD that I picked up for a couple bucks at resale shop many years ago), but don't believe I ever saw him (or maybe I did, it is getting hard to remember all the folks I have seen.)

While he was beloved in the Chicago music scene. I don't think he played all that often around town anymore. Certainly he did not have the influence or following that Nick Drake has (strange interpretation in the article from the first posting). His music was a strange amalgam of soft jazz/folk/pop, which because it didn't fall into any one genre, didn't earn him a very large audience. He did get a mention by Plastic Crimewave as part of the Secret History of Chicago Music series a few years back.

LouieB

His music was a strange amalgam of soft jazz/folk/pop, which because it didn't fall into any one genre, didn't earn him a very large audience.

For sure. Over the years I've found his records in everything from Pop and Soul to the Jazz and Folk sections. His really early stuff was more Folk-Jazz, then he kinda went more Soul-Jazz.

This track is a good example of Callier's hard to define sound (such a killer track too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvcNUEVfwOg

I dunno...I usually agree with gtrplyr on most stuff, but I just don't have that the same enthusiasm for him. When I found his album "Time Peace" at the resale (we are talking junk shop here, not used record store for $2.45) I was not really taken by it. I was actually thinking of putting it back into the resale stream, but I rarely get rid of any record, so it is still on my shelf particularly when I learned that he had so much cachet. It has some Chicago music scene luminaries on it such as John Moulder on guitar and Howard Levy on harmonica and Dave Onderdonk on guitar, as well as Pharoh Sanders on a number. The over all folk/jazz hippie vibe did nothing for me at the time. I guess in light of his demise I should give it another listen.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

I gave a listen to the one Terry Callier CD I have and my impression wasn't changed. It was pretty good, somewhat clever, well produced folk jazz. He seemed a slightly less edgy than Oscar Brown Jr., another Chicago folk jazz figure of a slightly earlier generation. Pleasant enough, but ultimately not that memorable.

LouieB