New Flaming Lips album, "The Terror" due 4/2/13; premiere of video for non-album & bonus track; Lips in Superbowl ad...& post 2013 Tour Dates too...

http://flaminglips.com/news/s/1946/the-flaming-lips-unleash-the-terror-on-april-2nd!/

The Flaming Lips Unleash The Terror on April 2nd! posted by wb - Jan 24, 2013

The Flaming Lips will release their thirteenth studio album titled, The Terror, on April 2nd in the US and April 1st in Europe.

It is comprised of nine original compositions that reflect a darker-hued spectrum than previous works, along with a more inward-looking lyrical perspective than one might expect — but then again, maybe not. It’s up to you, the listener, to decide what it means to you.

Wayne Coyne explains, “Why would we make this music that is The Terror — this bleak, disturbing record? I don’t really want to know the answer that I think is coming. Maybe this is the beginning of the answer.”

The Terror is a bold and expressive journey that has evolved over The Lips’ nearly 30-year tended garden of sonic delights that ebbs and flows with extraordinary splashes of darkness and light, pleasure and pain, chaos and order. As we’ve come to know The Flaming Lips, the real beauty lies with the knowledge that to expect the unexpected is all part of the manic fun.

“If we have love, give love and know love,” Coyne says, “we are truly alive and if there is no love, there would be no life. The Terror, we know now, that even without love, life goes on…we just go on…There is no mercy killing.”

The digital pre-order of The Terror will begin on Jan 29th, through the iTunes Store and other participating digital retailers. All pre-orders on iTunes will include an Instant gratification, Non-Album, Bonus Track titled, “Sun Blows Up Today.”

Sun Blows Up Today” is also the music bed for a very cool Hyundai TV commercial by INNOCEAN USA which also stars The Flaming Lips and will air during the Super Bowl on Feb 3rd.

Track listing for The Terror:
Look…The Sun Is Rising
Be Free, A Way
Try To Explain
You Lust
The Terror
You Are Alone
Butterfly, How Long It Takes To Die
Turning Violent
Always There…In Our Hearts

Non-Album, Bonus Track – digital ONLY:
Sun Blows Up Today

Here's the premiere of the great new bonus track for the new Flaming Lips album!!

It won't be on the regular hard copies of "The Terror" (their new album due out April 1st & 2nd, 2013 worldwide), but will be included on the digital download version & Hyundai, yes the car company, will be giving away 100,000 free downloads, because, get this...it will also be featured as part of a Flaming Lips Hyundai Superbowl ad (for it's "Sante Fe" neo-SUV)...as much as I have mixed feelings about these sorts of things, at least the company is really trying to do something decent for the band- read about it here- http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...o-star-in-hyundai-super-bowl-1008117132.story
So my take on the 2013 Superbowl is now that I'm officially rooting for The Flaming Lips!!!!...but that doesn't mean I'm rooting for Hyundai ;)

And...From the good folks at "The Future Heart" on facebook...

"All this weekend The Future Heart will be posting previews of 2013's most anticipated albums......like The Flaming Lips' "The Terror". Watch the Lips' sessions for the upcoming release with Phantogram in the attached video. This is part 1 in a preview series of "Terror" videos and posts. Look for links for the rest of the series on https://twitter.com/TheFutureHeart and https://www.facebook.com/TheFutureHeart"

and...also...

"Hear every track on Jimi Hendrix's new album "People, Hell and Angels" due this March: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7124935.122130.238542309529650&type=3&theater

Other artists planning albums that we'll be previewing over the next few days include MGMT, Beck, The Black Keys, The Polyphonic Spree, The National, Grandaddy, Midlake, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Belle and Sebastian, Jim James, My Bloody Valentine, Arcade Fire, Built to Spill, Plastic Ono Band with special guests, Meat Puppet, Guided By Voices, Bowie, Sabbath and more!

Will 2013 bring new albums from The Pixies, Modest Mouse, Spoon, Deerhunter or even Mazzy Star? All of those artists have indicated it's possible...
If you're happy and you know it share with fwends.

Stay tuned!"

Hopefully there will be plenty more tour dates added soon enough...The dates in the U.S. involve them playing with The Black Keys...I can' yet fully suss out whether or not it's a joint headlining tour (I've read that), or if The Flaming Lips are the "special guest" opening act for The Black Keys. I like The Black Keys, but not like I love The Flaming Lips & Pittsburgh is well within my reach road trip wise, but I won't be oding it if they are merely the opening act.

The Flaming Lips 2013 Tour Dates:
March
29 – Sau Paulo, BR @ Lollapalooza Brazil
30 – Sau Paulo, BR @ Lollapalooza Brazil
31 – Sau Paulo, BR @ Lollapalooza Brazil
April
28 – Kansas City, Mo. @ Sprint Center *
30 – Pittsburgh, Pa. @ CONSOL Energy Center *
May
2 – Atlanta, Ga. @ Aaron’s Amphitheatre at Lakewood *
3 – Nashville, Tenn. @ Bridgestone Arena *
20 – London, UK @ Roundhouse
21 – London, UK @ Roundhouse
June
14 – Hultsfred, SWE @ Hultsfred Festival
15 – Aarhus, DEN @ NorthSide Festival

w/ The Black Keys = *

Here's the extended version of The Flaming Lips Hyundai super bowl ad. With great irony & self-awareness of all the contradictions & downright distasteful stuff in our consumer crazed driven culture/"society of the spectacle", I can say, to the positive, that this is a great song, I love The Flaming Lips & for those two reasons alone it'll probably be my all-time favorite super bowl commercial (unless a band I love more, & there aren't many, makes one someday), and that, is sort of like being King or Queen of nothing. To the negative side, I'll let the sponsor speak for itself- “The Flaming Lips are very much like Hyundai,” Hyundai VP of marketing Steve Shannon told Billboard. “They’re a little offbeat. They’ve been around a long time and they continue to reinvent themselves.”. Yeah, right. How did that one get past quality control? Unintentionally hilarious, but nice try. To the positive, they are doing a lot to promote the album & tour, & I'm no closer to wanting to buy a Hyundai....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CAe-06mUHkI

"Watch The Flaming Lips Record Their Forthcoming Album, “The Terror”
Please share The Future Heart facebook page with fwends, freaks, co-workers, roommates, yo momma, cousin Larry, your dentist – anybody and everybody interested in the cool, the crazy, the fabulous... The Flaming Lips!
This video is the second in a series previewing "The Terror.” Watch here as (Lips musical mastermind) Steven Drozd and co. record "Try To Explain," "Always There… in Our Hearts," "Butterfly, How Long it Takes to Die” (well, remix it anyway), "Turning Violent," "The Terror" and more..."
From "The Future Heart" on facebook...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I don't think I was ever able to listen to The Terror all the way through, and I am very patient about listening to full albums in one sitting. I think it was the track order, something about the way the album starts makes it hard for me to keep going. It may need one of the 'peppier' tracks up front. I liked the long song though.

Anywho, I saw the 7 Skies H3 50 min CD version in the store and I was curious about it. There are hardly any reviews of it online. The local Hasting's had probably 7 copies. I don't see how they would ever sell even that many.

Has anyone heard it?

How much vocals are on it?

I have no interest in listening to the 24 hour version. =)