Anyone give Atoms For Peace a spin yet? Any thoughts? 

I have to admit that it is not quite working for me. Feels like a cousin (sibling) of King of Limbs; which I am not a big fan. A little too electronic-y and not enough guitars. 

Oh, I see what TY is doing: emphasizing percussion and grooves. Sure, nice; but not quite enough for me to get into.

I am a Radiohead fan and I realize it is unfair to compare a side project to TY's main gig, but I sure would like to see him (and band-mates) go back to a more guitar-based song construction. With that said, I am not the type of fan that says "oh I wish they would go back and make 'Thief' or 'Computer' again . No, artists should be allowed to grow and move forward. This is what produces the best art: innovation, not back-tracking / re-treading. However, I wish TY and friends would go forward with guitars in lieu of synthesizers.

Someone on this board once said (paraphrasing) that the first time you listen to a new Radiohead record, you say "WTF?" After a few listens, you say "I see what you did there". And after a dozen or so spins you say "Radiohead is genius". This is absolutely 100% true (for me at least). Happens every time. So perhaps in a year or so I may change my opinion on both Atoms and Limbs.

We shall see...

I realise I'm in the minority here, but I don't like much of Radiohead's electronic stuff. The Bends with its acoustic guitars is fantastic, it's probably the only Radiohead album that I want to listen to from time to time. Which brings me to Atoms, I understand it's mostly an electronic affair so that has prevented me from giving it a listen, I suppose it's unfair, I should at least give it a couple of listens and see if the music makes any impact on me, but already I was disappointed with the King of Limbs which I bought, it was only a series of computerised bits. Despite all of this I'm going to listen to the new Atoms and give it an opportunity.

Been a while since I listened to TKOL, but isn't there one song that is pretty much just Thom and acoustic guitar, and one that is pretty much Thom and just acoustic piano?

I haven't listened to Amok a lot yet.

One thing about Thom's use of electronic beats - he seems to go for the same sounds. I wonder why he doesn't sample real instruments some - like Airbag and other songs have Phil Selway's drumming chopped up - or an 808 or other beat sounds.

What I've heard so far of Amok is that the beats and other instruments seem to have a fuller, richer sound. The Eraser felt very sterile. It may be because that was mostly a pure laptop album and this involves a full band.

Talking Heads made beat/groove music, but they had choruses and hooks, too. I don't know. I need to listen to Amok some more.

• 4 weeks later...