Nels Cline Plays his 1959 Jazzmaster

http://vimeo.com/36938420

It’s probably been a while since you heard your favorite Grant Green or Wes Montgomery licks played on a Fender Jazzmaster. But, as writer and musician Derek See uncovers in an upcoming Fretboard Journal #28 article, over the decades Fender’s poorly named instrument has found followers in the worlds of punk, indie and improv music. In his piece, See explains why the likes of Tom Verlaine, Elvis Costello, J. Mascis, Thurston Moore and Wilco’s Nels Cline have all embraced the Jazzmaster. In conjunction with that essay, we asked Cline to do this quick video demonstration showcasing why he loves this model so much.

Fretboard Journal: http://www.fretboardjournal.com/video/nels-cline-plays-his-1959-jazzmaster

Good Post!  I can't believe how mesmerizing Nels is, even when he's just creating something in the moment like that.  A true wizard of rock!

+1... that was cool.

I know less than zero about guitars and such, but here's a question for you all.  When there's a "1959 Jazzmaster" or a "1967 Gibson thisandthat" or whatever, does it mean that it's really a vintage / antique instrument?  Is Nels playing a 50+ year old instrument, or is it a more recently made instrument of the 1959 design?  Same with Jeff and all the other ones we see.  How does that all work?  thanks...

That means they're playing instruments that were manufactured in that year, e.g. 1959, 1967, etc. They're vintage. I wouldn't call those antiques -- a guitar built in the 1920s might be considered an antique. There are also "reissues," which are newer instruments designed to the specs of an earlier model.