TP&THB IN LA @ THE FONDA

Going to see Tom and company in LA at the small Fonda Theater...he's changing his set list up.

Should be a cool show at a small place. Anyone else going?

I'm going on Sunday and I'm freaking thrilled! I hope its in the same league as the Fillmore run in 1997 or even the run in 1999.

I've been religious about not checking setlists on this tour so far so I can be surprised on Sunday, so I won't be participating in any discussions until after my show, though. I'll give a full report then.

If you have any report on the logistics of getting in the venue, how long the line was a hour before show time, getting a good spot inside, how the sound was, etc, I'd love to hear it if you'll humor me and not tell me any details of what they played. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Have a great time!

Trouble in La La land...I guess Saturday's show didn't go so well....too many people on the GA Floor. Fire Marshall had to close them down about 20-30 minutes early. Tom tried to get people to go upstairs but no luck. That's really a drag....However Thursday show was pretty damn good. Don't want to blow the set list for anybody.

I went on Sunday night, we got a full length show and I was reasonably happy with it and it was about what I expected, but it was far from my dream "deep cuts" setlist nor was it terribly exciting for me. They played about 3 or 4 songs I'd never heard them play, which was cool (House In The Woods, Woman In Love, Tweeter and The MonkeyMan) but the majority of the setlist was still stuff I've seen over and over and over again. We got just a single song from each of the first four albums and they were all (except Woman In Love) over-played warhorses (Refugee, American Girl, Listen To Her Heart), not the "deep cuts" I was hoping for. I'm glad they skipped Free Fallin' and I Won't Back down, but they still did two songs from Full Moon Fever and four from Wildflowers. I love those records and those are all great songs, but they have been played to death in concert. The band is tight and they play what they play very well, I just wish they'd take more chances and really do a deep cuts setlist.

To be fair, at other shows they've done stuff like Fooled Again and The Best Of Everything and When The Time Comes and Nightwatchman. That is what I'm talking about. I just didn't get lucky enough to hear them.

I have seen Petty about 5 or 6 times..I heard about 14 new songs for me live at the Beacon show and I was happy..But I hear ya I wish he would do deeper earlier album cuts. I too was hoping for Nightwatchman!

Part of my problem is I've seen Petty close to 20 times going back to 1986. He just doesn't vary the setlists enough to keep me excited after I've seen him that many times already.

Part of my problem is I've seen Petty close to 20 times going back to 1986. He just doesn't vary the setlists enough to keep me excited after I've seen him that many times already.

Yeah I hear ya. First time I saw Tom was in 2003 so I can see how it would get tiring...I was bored of American Girl which I have seen at every show.