Wilco - Bonnaroo 6/14/13

Bonnaroo is probably my favorite festival in the US, and it holds an extra special place in my heart because i saw my first ever Wilco set there back in '09. That set was the catalyst that caused me to see Wilco close to 15 times over the next 4 years.

Unfortunately, the conditions didn't quite seem to match up this time around. The band suffered from what i would politely call a "god awful mix". I hate to nitpick, but you shouldn't be wondering why a show is so quiet when you are standing a mere 30 feet from the soundboard. There was virtually no John in the mix, and Glen's kit sounded pretty sterile, especially the snare. 

The setlist was pretty long for a festival set. Nice to see Via Chicago and Kamera in there. Hesitating Beauty was almost too quiet to hear unfortunately, as that's not one you get to see often. Hated being this disappointed with a Wilco set, but most of it didn't seem like their fault. Crowd was pretty receptive, and wasn't too loud during the quiet parts. I'm just looking forward to Solid Sound, where they will most certainly be playing in a more favorable environment.

To those who caught the stream, how did it sound on your end?

Poor Places ->

Art of Almost

I Might

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Kamera

California Stars (w/Calexico Horns)

Hesitating Beauty

Handshake Drugs

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

Impossible Germany

Born Alone ->

Laminated Cat

Jesus Etc.

Via Chicago

Whole Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm The Man Who Loves You (w/Calexico Horns)

Dawned On Me

Shot In The Arm

http://viachicago.org/topic/49021-jt-talks-backstage-at-bonaroo/

Not sure if you heard the above interview in the link - Tweedy mentioned that they didn't get a sound check (unlike Sir Paul). Perhaps he had doubts himself. I am guessing most bands don't get a sound check in a festival setting. I missed the Wilco webcast - the only webcast I saw was Gov't Mule - they sounded great.

Ya, only headliners get a soundcheck typically, but there were other bands who didn't soundcheck who sounded alright. Like i said, they weren't working in anything close to ideal conditions, i'm just looking forward to a great solid sound this weekend!

• 4 months later...