Glastonbury live online

As a Stones fan (with the usual pre-1980 caviat) but someone who has regarded them as being uniformly dire live for a similar number of decades, I found their performance pleasantly surprising, in that it was vaguely acceptable, but certainly not the 'triumph' being trumpeted in the media. 2000 Light Years From Home was shambolic. Mick was pretty energetic, so all those monkey glands etc. must work. I did enjoy seeing Charlie actually smiling a few times.

Most telling vignettes from the coverage I saw:

(1) After Elvis Costello played Tramp The Dirt Down there was hardly a murmer of applause. The festival demographic is just not what it used to be ...

(2) During the fun Nile Rogers set, when there was the audience 'invasion', the guy standing/dancing right behind him seemed to spend as much time on his phone updating his FaceBook status to say he was on the stage at Glastonbury and tweeting the same with some sort of related hashtag than actually enjoying the fact that he was on stage at Glastonbury ...

(3) The stages seem further from the crowd than they were even last year to accomodate the cameras etc. - even in that big tent stage that I thought used to be quite close up. At least they have no VIP golden circles yet ...

Want to watch the Calexico set sometime, and have only seen half of the Strypes ...

As a Stones fan (with the usual pre-1980 caviat) but someone who has regarded them as being uniformly dire live for a similar number of decades, I found their performance pleasantly surprising, in that it was vaguely acceptable, but certainly not the 'triumph' being trumpeted in the media. 2000 Light Years From Home was shambolic. Mick was pretty energetic, so all those monkey glands etc. must work. I did enjoy seeing Charlie actually smiling a few times.

Same. Jagger's energy is amazing for a guy about to turn 70. Plus his voice is in better shape this tour than it has been for years.   Maybe he has given up smoking or something.  Keef on the other hand is barely going through the motions.

Stones didn't really do it for me - I thought the pay per view thing they did in the US for 50th anniversary was better. Mick gone a bit karaoke for me and Keef, yep, barely alive, though Ronnie Wood more than covers for him.

The whole weekend though a digital triumph for BBC with so much stuff being shown live on tv and online and now up online on above link, though I'm not sure if it's available outside UK.

Agree about the punters up onstage with their Ipads filming the disco shindig but nonetheless Chic and Nile R were superb. Loved it after that epic 'Good Times' when the crowd wouldn't shift and sang 'Get Lucky' (which they didn't play) to Nile who responded by leading the singalong.

Some great sets up online - thought Alabama Shakes were stunning. What an inspirational set that was, vocal performance of the weekend.

Caught the French band Phoenix headline the John Peel stage last thing on Sunday, rate them too.

Nice ending to Mumford and Sons (dislike them normally) last act on the big stage. 'With A Little Help From My Friends' with big horn section, and First Aid Kit, Vampire Weekend and The Vaccines up there with them.

As I write, BBC 6 Music radio playing Public Enemy's Glasto blast  'Don't Believe The Hype'...all good.