How is the NRA specifically to blame for this? Connect some dots for me.

Mmm. Maybe. One could blame the NRA for retarding the progress of background checks, which maybe might have kept this obvious cra-zor from getting a gun, but probably not. America's love of guns and societal delight in killing goes far beyond and dates to way before there was even an NRA, though.

Mmm. Maybe. One could blame the NRA for retarding the progress of background checks, which maybe might have kept this obvious cra-zor from getting a gun, but probably not. America's love of guns and societal delight in killing goes far beyond and dates to way before there was even an NRA, though.

So does the use of tobacco.  yet we learned to hold the big tobacco companies responsible for killing us. 

Guest Don Draper

I'm not an NRA yahoo by any means, but I think it's important to draw the distinction between the group's two functions/purposes: on the one hand there's the lobbying arm (I realize I'm mixing my anatomical metaphors) and on the other hand you've got the individual members who believe in the right to gun ownership, safety classes, certification and all that.  That's a distinction you just can't make with Big Tobacco.

But tobacco companies make tobacco products.  The NRA doesn't make guns.

Oh, but their big donors do, no?

Absolutely.  But that doesn't mean that the little league team sponsored by Big Tobacco causes lung cancer.

Big Tobacco's Li'l Sluggers :lol

neither do Phillip Morriss or RJ Reynolds give their money directly to politicians.  They filter it through "third party" lobbyist groups.  The difference is that public focus on one issue is on the lobby group and in the other on the donors to the lobby group. 

So does the use of tobacco.  yet we learned to hold the big tobacco companies responsible for killing us. 

I don't accept that. If you've taken up smoking since like 1970, there is no way you could not be aware of the risks. Tobacco companies make it easier for you to get hooked, sure, but to say they made you smoke is an irresponsible and erroneous abrogation of personal responsibility.

No they don't.

I'd like to see the stats on gun crimes committed by NRA members. I suspect that about 99% of gun crimes are committed by people who are not NRA members.

I didn't say that they committed any gun crimes, and I wouldn't presume to make up statistics.  I said that, from a public health point of view, The NRA lobbies against the common good.  They lobby in support of machines which are designed to, and do, take human lives.

I don't accept that. If you've taken up smoking since like 1970, there is no way you could not be aware of the risks. Tobacco companies make it easier for you to get hooked, sure, but to say they made you smoke is an irresponsible and erroneous abrogation of personal responsibility.

i said nothing of the sort.  Anyway, at least tobacco users are (primarily) killing themselves. Not the case with guns.

I didn't say that they committed any gun crimes

You titled this thread "NRA scorecard" and said "3 points for the NRA", as if they and their members are somehow responsible for some nut shooting up a town meeting.

They lobby in support of machines which are designed to, and do, take human lives.

Those same machines also save lives.

this is uncomfortably similar to the argument used by Alfred Nobel when he was inventing dynamite, and during the cold war to justify the nuclear arms race.  

And it's also 100% true - legally owned firearms save lives every day.

You titled this thread "NRA scorecard" and said "3 points for the NRA", as if they and their members are somehow responsible for some nut shooting up a town meeting.

If the families of everyone killed in gun violence got together and filed a class action suit against the NRA and weapons manufacturers, they could be legally responsible for them, or at least a portion of them.  Much the same way that tobacco companies are held responsible for the high rates of lung cancer and emphysema (did i spell that right?)