John Prine Has Lung Cancer...

John Prine to have cancer surgery.
November 22, 2013|Greg Kot

John Prine says he has lung cancer and will have an operation next month. Doctors “see no reason why I won’t fully recover,” the singer-songwriter said on his web site.

Prine, who grew up in suburban Maywood and rose to fame on the Chicago folk circuit in the ‘70s with such songs as “Sam Stone” and “Hello in There,” will postpone two concerts in Louisville next month until 2014 to have the surgery. “I’ve been diagnosed with non-small cell carcinoma of the lung,” he said. “Doctors here in Nashville have caught it early, and it is operable.”

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

The cancer is unrelated to the cell cancer on his neck for which he received treatment in the late ’90s, he added.

Prine has concerts slated in 2014, including a March 14 date at Symphony Center with Iris DeMent, and expects to perform: “I look forward to seeing all my friends and fans in 2014. We have some great cities and venues lined up.”

Let's hope for the best. He is a National Treasure.

Wow, I can't believe you used those words. I shared this sad announcement on my FB page a week or so ago and said the exact same thing. He really is, too. I've seen him in concert many times, in venues large and tiny, with and without a band, and he's always so engaging. He's written some of the best songs in the world.