TWEEDY March 26, 2015 Santa Fe - Lensic Theatre

It was a great show, what did you expect?  My wife and I met up with BillyDee from CO before the show for some food and beers, Bill is a great guy who has been taping Wilco and many other bands for years, so you can expect a nice recording of both the Minus-5 & Tweedy.  

Jeff was pretty quiet for the first 4 or 5 songs and then got real chatty, lots of high altitude jokes, Santa Fe is at 7500', jokes about the age of the audience (old) and New Mexico green and red chile, you'll get to hear it on the recording

Here's the set list from Stan, they may have deviated from this, and I can't remember his solo setlist

Hazel

Fake Fur Coat

Diamond Light

Flowering

Summer Noon

World Away

New Moon

Pigeons

Wait for Love

High as Hello

Love Like a Wire

Low Key

Nobody Dies

***Solo*** (these are out of order)

IATTBYH

Mtn Bed

You & I

Jesus etc

Please Tell My Mother

Hummingbird

Whole Love

New Madrid

Radio King

***With the Band****

Please Don't Let

Only the Lord

True Love

Losing End

Cali Stars

***Solo*** (these are out of order)

Please Tell My Mother

***With the Band****

Please Don't Let

Only the Lord

True Love

Losing End

Cali Stars

That's cool that they did True Love Will Find You In The End (I presume that's what "True Love" indicates)! I think it's the first time they've done that. I heard that both Scott McCaughey and Peter Buck joined for the encore. Presumably they came out for California Stars, but did they play on anything else?

Of course I've managed to get to a fair number of Tweedy shows, but I've missed every time both Scott and Peter have come out for the encore. I've also yet to see Pigeons, I think.

P.S. I'm sure you meant Please Tell My Brother. :ninja

P.P.S. How did the Minus 5 go over? After all, they were probably playing to a lot of folks in their age range (as the song My Generation says, "Born in the 50s/Children of the 60s/Now in our 50s/Soon to be 60s...") Did you get Aw Shit Man, billydee?

Scott McCaughey and Peter Buck came out for California Stars only. Scott played on one previous song (I think True Love Will Find You in the End, but my memory is alas hazy).

The Lensic Theatre (which is gorgeous) was packed on the bottom but had quite a few empty seats up top. Total capacity is only about 900 so pretty intimate.

Sadly, I would say the hall was way less than half-full for The Minus 5, which got an appreciative but not enthusiastic response. Our millennial friends who were also there gave them a big thumbs down. Seriously hated them.

There was one drunken girl, early 20s, sitting in the row directly behind us who was whooping and screaming throughout the first half of the show. (She and her friends were also talking, VERY loudly, throughout the entire opening segment from Tweedy.) Jeff finally started making fun of her: "Oh, someone brought a baby. Isn't that nice." "Oh, someone brought a puppy." And finally "OK, you've had your moment, I'm not going to encourage any more."

I think she finally passed out. We saw a couple empty seats a few rows in front of us and were able to escape the awfulness.

The sound at the Lensic is amazing. Jeff's voice was a little ragged on a few songs, and his humor was uncharacteristically mean-spirited at times. But all in all a wonderful show.

Saluqi, I looked for you but couldn't find you. I suspect we could compare locations based on the location of Whooping Girl.

Well, Minus 5 did not play "Aw Shit Man" but blew me away nonetheless. It was great meeting Saluqi and family!

Anyhow, just got back home from New Mexico (snuck in a little skiing at Taos today too) and all I can say is WOW about the Tweedy band. :worship

I had no idea they would be this good live....and I am guilty of not paying very much attention to them and the album, so shame on me. But better late than never!

Gonna start prepping the recording tonight and hope to get that up in a few days. I'll post that info in the other thread. Stan is the man as most of us know and he outdid himself in that awesome venue in Santa Fe last night.

Here's the Jeff solo set from Santa Fe as played-

1. IATTBYH
  2. Remember The Mountain Bed
  3. You and I
  4. Hummingbird
  5. New Madrid
  6. Radio King
  7. Please Tell My Brother
  8. Jesus, etc.
  9. Whole Love
  10. I'm the Man Who Loves You

The Minus 5 setlist from Santa Fe-