Wilco - 5/5/15 - Cincinnati, OH (Taft Theater)

Less Than You Think

Handshake Drugs

Camera

Hummingbird

Panthers

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Art of Almost

Sunken Treasure

Either Way

Pot Kettle Black

Secret of the Sea

Heavy Metal Drummer

Jesus, Etc.

Born Alone

Laminated Cat

Airline to Heaven

Box Full of Letters

Dawned on Me

Impossible Germany

A Magazine Called Sunset

Theologians

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Red-Eyed and Blue

I Got You

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

The Thanks I Get

War on War

New Madrid

California Stars

A Shot in the Arm

These guys are good.

Solid show last night.  Pretty standard "20th" tour setlist, as things are unfolding so far.  A few observations and some banter recollection...

The band came on at a couple minutes after 9 and played till 1115.

Less Than You Think is a great opener.  The drone was rather short, and I could have used way more of that.

Three of the opening 5 songs (Hummingbird, Panthers, and Camera) were guitar-less for Jeff.  Odd.

It was a good 6 or 7 songs in before Jeff had anything to say.  Overall, not a whole lot of banter really.

Some serious windmills from Pat at the end of Born Alone.

Pretty good crowd.  Reserved seating theater, but all standing the whole time, at least on the floor section.  It was pretty warm and muggy in the venue.

I thought the sound was fine (I was about halfway back and toward the Pat side of the stage).  I stopped by and talked to Stan on my way out, and he apologized profusely for the poor sound... I said it sounded great, but he said it wasn't their best night.  He was tucked up under the balcony pretty far, maybe a bad spot there.

Highlights for me were LTYT, Camera, Pot Kettle Black, and the hootenanny style Shot in the Arm

(I had given up on hearing my screen name but was pleasantly surprised to get it at the very end).

Some poorly recounted banter moments... heavily paraphrased.

- There was apparently a nasty sewer smell up around the stage.  Jeff promised that it wasn't coming from the band, but wanted to let us all know that they were playing through "quite a stench". 

- After the obligatory "hello Cincinnati" greeting, someone confirmed that yes he was in Cincinnati, which Jeff found amusing and said "Are you saying I don't know where we're at?  I know where we're at."  And a little later, "I definitely know we're in Cincinnati... I remember this humidity". 

- Someone yelled "TEAR IT UP GLENN", which Jeff relayed on to Glenn.  He then said back to the guy "Oh yeah.  Glenn's gonna tear it up.  Wait till you see this".  And then launched into Jesus, etc.

- Introducing "Secrets of the Sea", Jeff said that they haven't played this one much over the years, but now they're playing it a lot lately since they finally learned how to play it.

- In the hootenanny Thanks I Get, the crowd did a fair job on the "we can make it better" call and response.  Jeff kicked in a falsetto version at the end, and the crowd had a much louder / stronger falsetto response than the regular ones.  Jeff noticed and said "It doesn't get any better than that" and closed the song.

- Toward the end of the main set, Jeff commented how he was hearing a lot more song requests now that we were getting to the part of the show where people were realizing that they might not hear their favorite song.  "If you can all collectively get together and agree on one song, we'll consider it.  But we have already picked out a show with the songs that we think you'll enjoy, and some of you are just going to have to be disappointed that you're not going to hear that one song that you really wanted to hear.  But hey, that's show business."  It did not discourage the requests.

Lot of fun.. nice to see Mr and Mrs sonicshoulder and a few other friends there.  Skyline chili with a Hudepohl before the show were good local fare. 

Looking very forward to Louisville on Friday... great venue, better seats (3rd row!) and will get to see a few other VCers this time.  And I'll be there with my wife this time instead of my daughter... neither one can handle too much Wilco in one week  :)

I found myself in Cincinnati for work  - right place at the right time.  First time hearing Camera, Panthers and Secrets of the Sea live.  Great show overall.  Was really hoping for the We've Been Had/Give Back the Key to my Heart combo in the hootenany, but I'll take what they gave us for sure

Was really hoping for the We've Been Had/Give Back the Key to my Heart combo in the hootenany, but I'll take what they gave us for sure

Yeah, I admit I was a bit letdown after all the buzz about the STL show and then having a more straightforward setlist last night. 

And my most recent Wilco shows before last night were at Winterlude which are not really a fair comparison to any given single-night "on tour" show, especially a city like Cincy where (I think) they haven't played a non-festival / non-Americanarama 'regular' show in a long time.

And yes, I know it was a 30 song set (with an opener...) and they killed each and every song they played and all that.

...So, yeah, I was hoping for a little more something-special and a little less HMD - Jesus etc kind of night.  Still a great show.  It's Wilco.

Yeah, I admit I was a bit letdown after all the buzz about the STL show and then having a more straightforward setlist last night. 

And my most recent Wilco shows before last night were at Winterlude which are not really a fair comparison to any given single-night "on tour" show, especially a city like Cincy where (I think) they haven't played a non-festival / non-Americanarama 'regular' show in a long time.

And yes, I know it was a 30 song set (with an opener...) and they killed each and every song they played and all that.

...So, yeah, I was hoping for a little more something-special and a little less HMD - Jesus etc kind of night.  Still a great show.  It's Wilco.

If it's any consolation, you got Less Than You Think, Either Way, Sunken Treasure, and The Thanks I Get...which I did not catch at ANY of the three Florida shows I saw. Not too shabby.