I did a quick scour of the forum to see if there was a topic for all things Lee, apparently not. I figure there's quite a few fans of Lee/SY on here.

I'm a huge fan - he's one of my favourite artists/guitarists.

Announced today, Lee is getting some documentary treatment in December 2015.

In Doubt, Shadow Him!

Via The Wire:

http://www.thewire.co.uk/news/37710/lee-ranaldo-film-to-be-released

I love his solo album from a couple of years ago. 

I'd rank the 2013 one with the Dust over that - it's one of my favourite albums from the last couple of years. I like the first one, but the straightforward musical/lyrical approach was a bit of a shock to the system at first.

I'd rank the 2013 one with the Dust over that - it's one of my favourite albums from the last couple of years. I like the first one, but the straightforward musical/lyrical approach was a bit of a shock to the system at first.

That's the one that I was talking about—Last Night On Earth.

Love it.

oh yeah.... that what's in my bag session is great!

glad to see him give some props to ODB as well as the Flying Nun comp; FN is one of my favorite labels of all time. still on the hunt for some of the early releases....

It was that video which got me into the music of Sandy Bull. That live album where he plays oud, lap steel, tape loops and primitive drum machine is just incredible. Really worth checking out.

I'm still yet to check out the Flying Nun compiliation. NZ underground/experimental music is the best. Local Dunedin legends Eye opened a set I played there in 2010 - it was amazing.

That comp was assembled by Bruce Russell (Dead C) so it'll be a bit more esoteric and challenging than say, Pink Flying Saucers Over The Southern Alps.

Oh, yeah - I'm not fazed by obscure stuff at all, if anything that's where I like to zero in. There was an excellent book that came out a few years ago (Erewhon Calling - Experimental Sound In New Zealand) which I snapped up. It's a really good read, I need to dust it off again sometime soon.

http://www.thewire.co.uk/shop/books/erewhon_calling__experimental_sound_in_new_zealand_edited_by_bruce_russell_

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/flying-nun-the-untold-story-of-a-trailblazing-indie-label/

i must say that _A Beard Of Bees_ by This Kind Of Punishment is one of my favorite records of all time, and i am supremely happy to have tracked down an actual LP copy ~20 years ago. never seen another one (original, that is... Ajax reissued it in the early 90s)

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/flying-nun-the-untold-story-of-a-trailblazing-indie-label/

i must say that _A Beard Of Bees_ by This Kind Of Punishment is one of my favorite records of all time, and i am supremely happy to have tracked down an actual LP copy ~20 years ago. never seen another one (original, that is... Ajax reissued it in the early 90s)

*checks out link*

Right. I'm totally checking that out when I get home from work today. :thumbup

Oh, if folks haven't checked it out - last year's Acoustic Dust album is definitely worth your time if you like Lee's stuff.

It took me a while to track down since it was only released on a small Spanish label, but the vinyl, flac and mp3 are available at Boomkat.

Lovely organic and spacious versions of the solo tracks, including covers by Sandy Denny and Neil Young.