Wilco (The Album) question

Last night at the Pitchfork discussion with Jeff (which was excellent btw), someone asked him if the band ever took entire albums out of their live repertoire for periods of time and Jeff mentioned that they didn't play W(TA) songs for a period of time because they were tired of paying other people to play their own songs.  Does anyone know what he's referring to there?  It was their last album on Nonesuch and i'm guessing it's some rights issue, but they obviously played songs from their prior albums too.

yeah, this had something to do with The Roadcase releases, big reason they didn't play those songs is due to the fact that they can't release them on Roadcase without paying royalities...at least that's what I've heard.

It's not because the band realizes those songs aren't very good, as I'd originally expected (lol).

where can I hear this Pitchfork interview?

And, does that mean that the royalty matter has been resolved, since they are playing WTA songs again, or have they caved in and began paying royalties again?

I guess I don't understand why the royalty issue would prevent them from playing songs on W(TA) and not SBS, YHF, etc.

They were definitely filming the Pitchfork interview so hopefully it will make its way on,one shorty.

I think they signed some marketing / rights deal for Wilco the Album, and it backfired on them. Big reason they went out on their own. If I remember correctly. It was marketed really heavy compared to the rest of their records. There was a big promotional push.

I thought I read somewhere on here that they settled the rights issues, and they can now include these songs in their downloads for future road case shows.