The Dream Syndicate

Someone was telling me that they were going to see Mott The Hoople tonight in Boston. I checked out the FB Event page and I was shocked to see The Dream Syndicate opening the show. I think this was a recent change. Either another band was supposed to open or they just made the announcement last week.

I think The Dream Syndicate has been opening since Mott The Hoople left Chicago on 4/3.

I need to get more familiar with these guys. Attempting to remedy that, as I type.

Listening to this:

MI0001920534.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I think The Dream Syndicate has been opening since Mott The Hoople left Chicago on 4/3.

That was too short of a stint. I think the Boston show was the last or 2nd to last gig on Mott The Hoople's tour. I pondered going and even looked into Uber, but I passed on it assuming that their show in May was still on at ONCE Ballroom. The day after I checked and it disappeared on their website & the venue website. I found an old venue post from mid March that said "due to unforeseen circumstances" this show has been cancelled. I wonder if it was because they were doing the Mott shows a month before their next potential Boston show. If that's the case, it might be a foolish idea since a lot of people were blown away by their set (according to social media).

Needless to say a bit bummed, but some folks talked to Steve Wynn at the Orpheum show and he said that they want to come back in the fall. They still do have dates for the East coast in May and a very brief swing through the Midwest later that same month.

• 2 weeks later...

^ It looks like The Dream Syndicate are opening up for The Hold Steady on May 18 at Space Ballroom in Hamden, CT. Their now cancelled ONCE Ballroom show in Somerville, MA was scheduled on the same date.

It looks like they ditched the Somerville show to open for The Hold Steady. A bit strange considering the cancelled show was a headlining gig.

damn that sucks for ONCE... twice ditched at the altar.

Twice?

I know they were there in December 2017. I was at that show.

I was just giving an update that they now have a new gig penciled in on the same date as the cancelled ONCE show. I don't think that they rescheduled that date and canceled it. As far as I know, Steve Wynn said that they want to come back this fall. There are plenty of Boston venues with similar capacities for them to book. It's entirely possible that I missed a new date.

• 10 months later...

I was surprised to see that The Dream Syndicate have a new record coming out in April titled The Universe Inside. I vaguely recall a post from Steve Wynn on FB saying that he had been mixing a new record for release in the spring. For some reason, I thought that my memory had been from late 2018 and for their last record released last May. The opening track, The Regulator, has a video and the song runs 20 minutes. In fact, this new record only has 5 songs with running times averaging around 10 minutes. The second song to be released from this new record also has a video.

The Regulator

The Longing

Also, Steve Wynn of The Dream Syndicate has jumped into the live stream from home movement. His was done over Facebook Live this afternoon around 4pm EST. Lots of skipping & audio cutting out. He attempted to do Dylan’s new song. He’s going to look into fixing it for the foreseeable future. Here’s a link to an older live stream from Italy: https://m.facebook.c...142135415829729

If you like his FB page, you should be able to see notifications.