Jeff Tweedy - 21 November 2016 Chicago, IL (Second City)

Theologians

She's A Jar

True Love Will Find You In The End

[unknown Song Played in building lobby]

Pot Kettle Black

Kamera

Wild World (Jeff Tweedy on guitar only. Audience members/Cast on vocals)

Jeff's set started with Theologians. Afterwards the theater audience bid on the opportunity to request a song for Jeff to play right in front of them and even take leads vocals with Jeff on guitar. It should be noted that nobody who bid wanted to sing and nobody wanted him to do it lap dance style (comedian TJ's words). The auction winners (~$450) chose She's a Jar, True Love and Pot Kettle Black. A Donation of $1000 took Jeff into the lobby to play for those that couldn't get in the theater. Jeff went into Kamera after PKB since it was in the same key and then did Wild World (reluctantly?) after 2 groups won the auction for Jeff to play a private party for them ($30,000 eacch).

The online auction is still open: https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/private-concert-in-your-living-room-with-jeff-tweedy-of-1200800 

Theologians

She's A Jar

True Love Will Find You In The End

[unknown Song Played in building lobby]

Pot Kettle Black

Kamera

Wild World (Jeff Tweedy on guitar only. Audience members/Cast on vocals)

Jeff's set started with Theologians. Afterwards the theater audience bid on the opportunity to request a song for Jeff to play right in front of them and even take leads vocals with Jeff on guitar. It should be noted that nobody who bid wanted to sing and nobody wanted him to do it lap dance style (comedian TJ's words). The auction winners (~$450) chose She's a Jar, True Love and Pot Kettle Black. A Donation of $1000 took Jeff into the lobby to play for those that couldn't get in the theater. Jeff went into Kamera after PKB since it was in the same key and then did Wild World (reluctantly?) after 2 groups won the auction for Jeff to play a private party for them ($30,000 eacch).

The online auction is still open: https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/private-concert-in-your-living-room-with-jeff-tweedy-of-1200800 

Were you there, or did you watch the stream? Just wondering because if you were there, I wish we would've been able to say hello. Pretty sure the song played for the "fans" out in the foyer waiting to get in was Jesus, etc. (and was funded by proxy by comedian Pete Grosz, who used to co-host the event with TJ Jagodowski). I say "fans" because Jeff came back in and said nobody out there really seemed to know who he was. He said some continued playing board games or something to that effect; for some reason, I pictured a thrilling round of Jenga! :lol

And as far as the finale, the exact chronology of how it went down is a bit hazy in my mind but after the living room show auction, I think they persuaded Jeff to do one more but he didn't want to sing so he asked if anyone else wanted to. One young woman finally volunteered, then Jeff asked if she knew any Cat Stevens songs and then another young woman jumped up and somehow Jeff just started playing the chords to Wild World. The two women did pretty well for awhile, but then they couldn't remember the third verse so one of the improvisers looked up the lyrics on his phone and handed it to one of the singers. But then things just sort of fell apart. Jeff even said, in kind of mock exasperation, "You were doing better when you didn't have the words!" It was all in good fun, and the audience did sing along pretty loudly with the choruses. :frusty

I made it until 3 a.m. or so, long enough to bear witness to the sort-of hilarity of Cecily Strong and Rashida Olayiwola (assisted by Jack McBrayer) filming "Salt Queens" videos for audience members who ponied up cash. It was no throwing footballs at Joe Canale's crotch for money like in the old days, but pretty memorable nonetheless. Kudos to Heather Whinna, Steve Albini, the Tweedys, Jagdowski and all the other comedians for keeping this thing going for 15 years now! Amazing. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...