Portable digital recorders....what do you like?

I'm looking at getting a hand help digital recorder to make recordings of band practices and gigs.  I want an all-in-one unit that's stupidly easy to use.  Do any of y'all have experience with these things?   What do you recommend?  Anything I should steer clear of or features I definitely want?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting a hand help digital recorder to make recordings of band practices and gigs.  I want an all-in-one unit that's stupidly easy to use.  Do any of y'all have experience with these things?   What do you recommend?  Anything I should steer clear of or features I definitely want?

Thanks!

I guess it really depends on what your looking to do and what your budget is. I don't really use the built in mics but in a pinch I've had some success with the mics on the Zoom products. I have a Sony M10 and a Tascam DR70, the Sony has two mics which I've never use and 1/8 line inputs which are really clean, perfect for external mics or soundboard feeds. The Tascam also has two mics I've never used, however it also has 4 XLR inputs with really cleam pre amps and phantom power for external mics, and an 1/8 input. I would recommend both decks over the Zooms.

• 2 weeks later...

I really only want something I can use to keep track of songs at band practice, and which will allow me to easily share with my band mates.  I can probably just get an app on my phone for this, but having dabbled in that, it seems like the audio is always blown out.     

I second the Tascam DR-05 suggestion. I've owned this unit for a number of years now and it's great for recording up close guitar/vocal demos or full band rehearsals. When recording the full band, simply turn down the recording level so the audio doesn't peak. Easy to use and great sound for such a small unit.

I think I'll go with the DR-05.  Sounds like it solves the exact problem I'm dealing with.  I have a Tascam digital 8-track (not something I want to bring to band practices), so I have some familiarity with how their interface works.  Should be a natural fit.