If I knew about the below - I forgot about it.

Pretty funny.

from Robbie Robertson via Rolling Stone

Through the years, I've had several classic rendezvous with the father of rock & roll. I was the original musical director and creative consultant for the Chuck Berry movie Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll. After a couple of meetings with Chuck, I realized that he didn't like being structured or musically directed so I wisely asked Keith Richards to take on that responsibility.

Back in the '90s, my buddy and I found out that Chuck would play anywhere as long as you covered his airfare, gave him $5,000 (or whatever the fee was) and provided a backing band.

We did some math and determined that we could make that happen at the local bar that we happened to be sitting in if we charged $20 a ticket, and WE could be the backup band. 

That would have been so great, but by the next day we had sobered up and forgot all about it.

Sort of like the time we had a gig at a dive bar the same night Willie Nelson was playing across town at Six Flags, and we figured we could get him to show up at our gig and sit in.  Didn't happen.

If only we had the internet back then and knew how to find the right contact person. 

Last week, I checked out the 4 disc version from the library. I watched a bit off the Bonus rehearsal stuff last night - it's okay. Chuck definitely plays pretty sloppy throughout.

Some of the Berry/Richards interactions are pretty good - not sure how much of it was staged, though.

It's was nice to see Robert Cray in the concert/footage  -- always has been a fan of him since the early 80s. Actually, I have been on a huge Robert Cray kick for the past two months or so - what a voice that guy has - nice guitar chops, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized that my intro to Chuck may have been off REO's Nine Lives record with their version of Rock and Roll Music. Production is pretty dreadful, but it's a solid cover. They totally REO-ed it up. Which I think one should do with a cover -- for better or worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMEquKqOcoc

Listening to Chuck's Complete Chess Singles cd, tonight.