Hooked on a Feeling

Spoiler

I am feeling sad tonight at the loss of this man. I have a friend who knew him personally so I know that  BJ met his stage 4 cancer diagnosis with uncommon grace, and amazing courage.

Rest in peace, and thank you for some of the most heartfelt music of my childhood. I'll never forget my mom singing along to "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head", surely one of the most joyous, life-affirming songs evereverever....see the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" for full appreciation.

That sweet song lifted me out of many small depressions as a kid. Yeah, raindrops fall...but you don't let that stop you!

Thanks, BJ, you made my young adulthood easier. And I've never stopped loving the songs! Rest in peace.

I always liked his original version of Hooked on a Feeling, but apparently I was only four when it came out. So it's actually possible I heard the Blue Swede cover first. That "ooga-chaka ooga-ooga" thing freaked me out a bit, but now I have a whole different appreciation for that band. They were Swedish, and singing a tune in English, like Abba. Welfare!

"Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" is one of the first songs I remember "knowing." Then in my 20s I watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for the first time, and it gave me a new association with the song. Randomly the song resurfaces in my conscience, and I'll find myself singing it in my head or aloud. Cancer sucks. Rest easy, B.J. And thank you for the music.