Archive.org

Wilco probably wouldn't allow it now either since they sell some shows on nugs. Although come to think of it, My Morning Jacket does some stuff with nugs & still allow people to tape & post shows on archive. I've heard their sound guy actually helps tapers sometimes. Most Drive-by Truckers shows end up on archive except for the occasional one they sell. They still allow the audience tapes to go up though. Ween is very friendly too. I think these bands have figured out that if someone is going to download shows that most likely they'll have already bought the commercial product. All these bands except for Ween I tend to buy most every release. That includes Wilco. I do cherry pick the roadcase stuff though. Budgetary considerations. Some bands like Guided by Voices it's just nearly impossible to keep up with everything. The list isn't huge of artists I buy automatically anymore. I also try to leave room for some new stuff like the Beths. Great band. Sorry if I've rambled. Legal & unfortunate drug effects. I'll shut up now.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 4:32 PM, chuckrh said:

I think these bands have figured out that if someone is going to download shows that most likely they'll have already bought the commercial product. 

Totally..........and go to all the shows, and buy merch, and see the solo performances and offshoot bands, etc, etc.

Multiple version of every single Grateful Dead show is up on the ReListen app, and the GD releases something like five shows per year for sale, so it seems like free streaming and selling live shows can work financially.

The problem I have, and I suspect many of you do, is I want to listen to 50 shows, or 100 or 500, (or all of them) and I want to be able to jump around and maybe checkout a certain song every 5 years or so, or see how it sounds in different incarnations of the band.  If I had to buy every show to do that, I couldn't buy food!!