Wilco - 17 September 2022 SDSU Open Air Theatre San Diego, CA

Roadie’s? setlist from kidsmoke! 
what the helll has got into Wilco?!? I’ve never heard them rock extended guitar solos like that! Pat was ON FIRE!!! Nels and him channeling Duane Allman and Dickie Betts with the fiery dual leads, the unison licks and the huge long crescendos . Holy shit Batman! What a great show!

• Like 1

A few deep thoughts from last nights show:

Haven't seen the band since they last played SD over 10 years ago. While they have frequented LA many times in the ensuing years, they've always been there on school nights, and given the band's dad rock leanings, that's just not an option. Also, one of the 10 largest cities in the US is not a suburb of LA. Hopefully I won't have to wait another 10.

The older songs played are certainly among their best, and I would be happy to hear at any show - Handshake, War, Via, Hummingbird, Jesus, Impossible, CA, AiL, HMD, Spiders - wow! 

Nels solo in Impossible Germany was over 4 minutes long, and while this version was not quite as incediary as I remember past takes being, it was fun none the less. Jeff's riffage on Spiders was really great too. 

The newer songs are a bit better live than on the albums, but lack the dynamics of the older stuff, and really there are just other songs I'd rather hear. Except for Many Worlds. That is the one masterpiece on the new album. The jam coda is great, featuring Pat's leads and duels with Nels, kind of Morning Dew-esque, but why not just play the whole song? 

US Blues is pretty much the perfect cover song for this tour, moment - thematically and musically fitting in with the rest of the Cruel Country material. A bit reminscent of Hoodoo Voodoo and some other stuff in their catalogue as well. I actually don't even have it ranked in the top 100 Grateful Dead songs. May have to move it up a few spots. 

Late Greats was not played. 

That's all I got.  

I agree new songs for the past four albums are not as good as older stuff, but are always better live but I really appreciate the return to country roots leanings on Cruel Country and while these songs aren’t very lively their subtle goodness is more vivid live.  Wasn’t the 2nd extended guitar section in the ending of Story To Tell?

2 hours ago, Shug said:

image.jpegFour words - Pat Sansone Lead Guitar!!

Thanks for posting my setlist here in After the Show, Matt! I meant to put it here too but by the time we got home last night I was bleary eyed & forgot.

We got an amazing set of songs! ❤️ And yes, I could watch Pat for hours.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Shug said:

Donna what % of shows you are at do they play Spiders? Do they play it when they know you are there? I wanna go to more shows you are at !!😆

Oh, I wish I had the power to influence their setlists!!! Although I did comment several times to my husband last night, "They're playing this for me!" :lol Starting with Handshake Drugs was perfect...when that song was new, I was so addicted to it that I had an entire cd that was just HD over and over because I couldn't get enough of that rhythm. It's odd now to listen to that because it seems far too slow. I've gotten used to the faster live version. Last night it sounded sublime.

Via Chicago is "mine", too. I'll always feel like that's a little nod to us at these forums.:wub

And then as the main set is wrapping up, to hear the beat and skronky notes that signalled Spiders had me muttering happily, "Oh, no way!" Just perfection. The only way it could've been improved (Take note, Jeff!) is if Jeff had led us in singing the guitar part. I was really up for singing the guitar part so I sang it to myself anyway. But it would have been better if we'd all howled it like wolves on a full moon...

BA DA DA DAH DA DA DAH DA DA!!!:rock

Also of note, how exquisite was Muzzle of Bees? Nels was making some gorgeous, swirly sounds that I'd never heard before that elevated an already beautiful song to a whole other level!

PS to Jeff...On the entirely off chance that you DID play Spiders specifically for me, I again request a lyric change in that verse about my rash. As I've patiently explained, that rash cleared up years ago with a bit of ointment, and I feel it is inappropriate to keep reminding everyone. TY.

:flirt:spider2

6 hours ago, Shug said:

Roadie’s? setlist from kidsmoke! 
what the helll has got into Wilco?!? I’ve never heard them rock extended guitar solos like that! Pat was ON FIRE!!! Nels and him channeling Duane Allman and Dickie Betts with the fiery dual leads, the unison licks and the huge long crescendos . Holy shit Batman! What a great show!

Stan the Man gave me this setlist...Wilco's sweet and insanely capable sound man. The 7th Wilco. :thumbup

• Like 1

Some photos from last night at Cal Coast Amphitheatre. Nothing spectacular, my seat was further up but the view was still grand!

The Cruel Country backdrop is so pretty.

The last photo is either an H-Bomb test (by Henry & the H-Bombs?) or during Via Chicago.

20220917_212731.jpg

20220917_220559.jpg

20220917_220626.jpg

20220917_223338.jpg

20220917_223358.jpg

20220917_210346.jpg

In Spiders Jeff went full hippie in his leading the crowd in a we are all together in this moment clap session, it almost made up for no sing along but I was doing my own too (along with some massive air guitar riffing, couldn’t help it, I LOVE that part so much!) I was seriously moved and joyful to hear Jeff say those ideals.

and goddamn if they didn’t nail US Blues, injecting it with a whole lot of rocking energy and sincere enthusiasm for its subversive, freak freely, weird ol’ America and summertime celebratory spirit. Nels channels Garcia beautifully then Mike took that great organ solo. Did Pat or Jeff take a solo too I forget, but it made me so happy.

• Like 1