Wilco — 16 April 2023, North Charleston, SC (Riverfront Park) [High Water Music Festival]

I thought The Wilco's hit all the marks last night. Positive vibes throughout. Jeff has mastered the art of presenting 5 songs from their latest album in a festival setting!

The crowd seemed to bear the opening numbers culled from that latest albums before locking into sync with the band during Handshake Drugs and Spiders in the #4 slot, nice and early in the set, gave the crowd the opportunity to participate. As Jeff said when a smattering of organic clapping commenced "it's yours if you want it."

A Shot in the Arm never ceases to impress and the Being There closing duo took us out on a very very positive note. Congrats to the "Raised on Wilco" tshirt adorned fan (and her mom) for a) Making everyone feel old and 2) winning "Best Behaved" and to Wilco for winning "Best Band So Far" at the event. As Jeff joked, Wilco's stake in the trophy company is clearly paying off.

As our typical setlist stenographer would share at this point, here is the entire set as played (the final two songs were added to the printed setlist and held the band to their strict 75 minute set time):

I am Your Mother

Cruel County

Handshake Drugs (with Eric Slick on percussion)

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Bird Without a Tail/ Base of My Skull

Tired of Taking It Out on You 

Jesus, Etc. (with Lucius' Jess and Holly)

Impossible Germany

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

A Shot in the Arm

Falling Apart (Right Now)

I Got You (At the End of the Century)

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the review! I believe that was the incomparable, inimitable, and all around amazing drummer and great guy Eric Slick, from Philadelphia PA (and longtime member of Dr. Dog).

2 hours ago, dagwave said:

Thanks for the review! I believe that was the incomparable, inimitable, and all around amazing drummer and great guy Eric Slick, from Philadelphia PA (and longtime member of Dr. Dog).

You are correct! I see confirmation on his instagram. Nice.

On 4/17/2023 at 4:16 PM, nalafej said:

I thought The Wilco's hit all the marks last night. Positive vibes throughout. Jeff has mastered the art of presenting 5 songs from their latest album in a festival setting!

The crowd did seem to bear the first two songs before locking into sync with the band during Handshake Drugs (could not identify who was playing percussion next to Glenn - hopefully somebody else can!) and Spiders in the #4 slot, nice and early in the set, gave the crowd the opportunity to participate. As Jeff said when a smattering of organic clapping commenced "it's yours if you want it."

A Shot in the Arm never ceases to impress and the Being There closing duo took us out on a very very positive note. Congrats to the "Raised on Wilco" tshirt adorned fan (and her mom) for winning best behaved and to Wilco for winning Best Band So Far at the event. Wilco's stake in the trophy company is clearly paying off.

As our typical setlist stenographer would share at this point, here is the entire set as played (didn't see a printed setlist to confirm/deny deviations - although there was off mic band banter leading into the final 5 songs so I suspect there may have been some audibles based on the 75 minute set time):

I am Your Mother

Cruel County

Handshake Drugs (with Eric Slick on percussion)

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Bird Without a Tail/ Base of My Skull

Tired of Taking It Out on You 

Jesus, Etc. (with Lucius' Jess and Holly)

Impossible Germany

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

A Shot in the Arm

Falling Apart (Right Now)

I Got You (At the End of the Century)

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Thanks for the report! Knew I could count on you as I was midair, returning from the land of ice and wind. Glad you were able to make it down there — I trust you also found plenty of good stuff to eat (that's one of the festivals, along with Outside Lands, that I sort of secretly just wanted to attend for the food — and got to see a solid festival set! When I saw the picture of Jess and Holly singing with Jeff, I figured it had to be Jesus, etc., and while that song is obviously a well-, well-, well-, well-, well-, well-worn concert staple, it's nice to see the ladies sharing a stage with the band again.