Wilco — 26 September 2023, Tulsa, OK (Cain's Ballroom)

After an all-too-short break following a month-long European tour, Wilco are back on American soil, back on the road again and back to business as the summer of 2023 turns into autumn. But although they might be back in this cruel country (wink, wink), the band reached another inflection point in its touring history with tonight's tour kickoff show in Tulsa — if the drumhead on Glenn's kick drum featuring the flower artwork of Azuma Makoto was any indication. In other words, let the Cousin era begin.

OK, OK...so maybe the first show of said era didn't really look all that different than the last run of shows in the Cruel Country epoch with the exception of a couple more songs from the forthcoming record being added. But I expect that the set will become increasingly Cousin-heavy, perhaps as early as two shows from now in Austin on Friday, the day the album officially comes out. In the meantime, those of us at the venerable Cain's Ballroom had to be content with the full-band live debuts of two more songs from Cousin — the plaintive show-opening Pittsburgh as well as the title track — in addition to Evicted, which the band has been performing live for about a month now.

More to come...

For now, here was the complete setlist as played in Tulsa (in terms of changes/omissions from the printed list, Impossible Germany was not on it but was played, while Cousin track Soldier Child was — between California Stars and The Late Greats — but wasn't played):

Pittsburgh

Handshake Drugs

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart>

Kamera

Side With The Seeds

Hummingbird

Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull

Cousin

Misunderstood

Evicted

Impossible Germany

Jesus, etc.

California Stars

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

A Shot In The Arm

-------------------------------------

Falling Apart (Right Now)

Via Chicago>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I certainly hope you're right that the Cousin floodgates are just waiting for the official release date to be opened. With six shows in my immediate future, I would be kind of let down if the set lists looked like this one. There are a lot of old standbys in this set-- too many for my preferences (though I'm sure they sounded great.)

• Like 1