I know someone posted this under the Allman Bros thread but I think Dickey is worthy of his own thread.  He's my all time favorite guitarist.  Always in the shadow of Duane but I've always preferred  Dickey for his uniquely melodic style and sweet tone.  Also a terrific songwriter.  In Memory of Elizabeth Read, Blue Sky, Ramblin' Man, Jessica are all timeless classics. 

Lots of musicians stepping up to pay tribute today, including a lovely one by Nels Cline.

Dickey Betts.jpg

• Like 2

I was a huge Allmans fan in the late '80s/early '90s.  Still am, but that's when I was going to see them in concert.  At that time I was also into punk/alternative/whatever, and went to see Mike Watt, where I discovered Nels.  Had I not been a fan of the Allman's I don't know if I would have connected so strongly with Nels' playing . There's always been things Nels plays that are obviously inspired by certain guitarists from the past, and Dickie is one of the big ones.

• Like 2