The Flaming Lips 4/1/06 Webster Hall

As always I am excited when the Lips tour. Their shows if you have not seen are visual overload! There was more confetti, balloons and smoke than you can shake a stick at. The only negatives were they only played 3 new songs which kinda bums me out because they are promoting a new album after all. After seeing the show though I kept on thinking I want to see the Lips one time without all the glits and glamour. I think they can musically pull it off but whatever. The problem with all this showman and video stuff is the setlist stay the same! I wish they would delve into there back catalog some more. In all the 5 times I have seen them (since 1999) I only heard one song pre 1990's! Only 2 songs os Transmissions, 2 off Clouds! I LOVE THOSE ALBUMS! Also the facts that they have all this video stuff is it chews up a lot of times. An average Flaming Lips setlist is 12-14 songs(75 minutes long)! They have like 9 albums! ANYWAY it is always fun to see the Lips I just think I am getting old and more crotchety the more concerts I go to! :pirate

Edited by remphish1

Thanks for the review :) The lips are fun to see. My first Lips show was so amazing and astounding. The second time was less amazing and astounding. Still good, but ... I think you can over-do just about anything.

Remphish, you go to a lot of shows. I used to get this amazing rush of excitement when I would walk into a venue and see the stage, with all the seats and lights etc ... :w00t

Now, maybe 100+ shows later, I just feel like this ... :)

So I'm scaling back, being more choosy because I would like this ... :w00t ... to return.

I do go to alot of shows(50-80 a year, thanks NYC!)...I still get excited but I get really excited when I don't know what to expect in terms of setlist, crowd etc. I know what toexpect when I see the lips but thats not always a bad thing. I find even though I go to alot of concerts even the ones that aren't as good end up being fun in some aspect. The fact that I go to all these shows in NYC helps me learn and expierence all different parts of the cities near the venues and learn what the locals do for fun. The only negative is the more and more shows I go to the more critical I get when bands stick to th standards...I love surpirses and diviations from the normal setlist. I get really exicted to hear rare stuff (B sides and common songs) when it is a band I really love! Anyway I get your point too! :cheers

Edited by remphish1
Yep...Race for the Prize (Which makes an awesome opener) and The Gash (This is always great live!)

:dancing

I like those, but they always play them. however, they rock and I can't wait for them to come back up here.

i've always been a big lips fan... going waaaaaay back to the late-mid 80's, and i gotta say i'm more than just a little disappointed right now.

this is the same show they've been putting on for what? 3 years now? with the animals and the balloons and the confetti and the what-have-you. don't get me wrong... that was great... fantastic... wonderful... but it's time for them to do something different. play longer shows, dive into the back catalog more (kim's watermelon gun & turn it on would be 2 great additions)... go darker with the lighting.

i'd love to see them go out sans the big happy birthday party and just concentrate on ripping skulls open instead of playing with balloons for 45 minutes then leaving the stage.

just my 2 centavos.

i've always been a big lips fan... going waaaaaay back to the late-mid 80's, and i gotta say i'm more than just a little disappointed right now.

this is the same show they've been putting on for what? 3 years now? with the animals and the balloons and the confetti and the what-have-you. don't get me wrong... that was great... fantastic... wonderful... but it's time for them to do something different. play longer shows, dive into the back catalog more (kim's watermelon gun & turn it on would be 2 great additions)... go darker with the lighting.

i'd love to see them go out sans the big happy birthday party and just concentrate on ripping skulls open instead of playing with balloons for 45 minutes then leaving the stage.

just my 2 centavos.

couldn't agree more. it sucks that you pretty much know what they are going to play and when. would really like to see them dip into the back catalog.

• 2 weeks later...
The Flaming Lips - Usher Hall, Edinburgh

Dave Simpson Friday April 21, 2006 The Guardian

Protest music often means a bloke with an acoustic guitar rambling on about the government over an obscure punk rock riff, but no one's told the Flaming Lips. The first night of their eagerly anticipated world tour features musicians in skeleton suits, balloons bouncing about and exploding over the audience, a Captain America dancer, and a projection of singer Wayne Coyne's face blown up hundreds of times its size.

There are cannon-like confetti launchers, a ventriloquist's doll "singing" one of the songs and a hall full of party streamers. Elements of the visual fiesta are familiar from the Oklahomans' fabled 2002 and 2003 tours, but Coyne has new tricks up his neatly tailored sleeve. As people gasp, the 45-year-old with a child's imagination descends over the audience in a giant "space bubble". Cheers and nervous glances abound as the bubble-dwelling loon is passed around the audience, metaphorically and literally trying to avoid landing on his backside.

For almost any other band, such surreal panto would relegate the music to a side-show. However, as songs from the Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots album and latest album At War With the Mystics tip into transcendence, Coyne's plaintive, Neil Young vocal sounds as if it is being physically stretched octaves higher by the wonderment around him.

When the band dig out old sing-along faves like She Don't Use Jelly, however, it is refreshing to remember that somewhere in there is a human rock band with chords, bum notes and a drummer who shouts a comically incongruous "Wun-two-three-faw!" There are flaws, particularly first night gremlins, meaning the gaps between the songs are a bit long. But there's a conjuror's sleight of hand in the way their "absurdist shit" (Coyne's words) gradually becomes laden with meaning. Coyne explains that the warring troupes of dancing aliens and Santas on stage (yes, really) symbolise "wars of belief": Christianity versus scientology. The deceptively bouncy Yeah Yeah Yeah Song deals with abuse of power, others with the power of the people.

Their "existential, protest-y" songs are so effective that it is not necessary for Coyne to rail against "religious fools" and George Bush, and illustrate a blistering cover of Black Sabbath's War Pigs with images of Donald Rumsfeld. But this show, like Coyne's mind, never lingers anywhere too long. Holding up a weird "animal synthesiser" sent by a fan, he explains that they are going to create a song using the "duck" noise button and the "cow" button. And lo and behold, they moo.

Lips still have that infectious cheek

(Filed: 24/04/2006)

David Cheal reviews Flaming Lips at the Albert Hall

It didn't have quite the feverish intensity that I recall from previous Flaming Lips shows - perhaps the novelty is beginning to wear off; maybe the staidness of the venue was inhibitive - but this was still an uplifting and deliriously bonkers performance. The tone was set from the beginning when a town crier heralded an evening in which the Lips would be "battling the world's demons with all their might", followed by the unconventional arrival of frontman Wayne Coyne, zipped into a giant inflatable plastic ball and rolling around the auditorium, held aloft by the hands of the promenaders.

bmlips.jpg

Deliriously bonkers: singer Wayne Coyne gave an uplifting performance

Then, with Coyne unzipped, the band launched into their big-beat anthem, Race for the Prize, and we were off on a phantasmagorical journey through the dippy, gloriously optimistic realm of these Oklahoman oddballs.

On previous tours, the band have been flanked on stage by a small army of volunteers dressed in furry animal costumes; this time, they had a dozen or so Father Christmases on one side, and aliens on the other. Around the cramped confines of the stage wandered Wonder Woman and Captain America.

Amid all this was the suited, shaggy-haired figure of Coyne, who approached his various tasks with a touching seriousness of purpose: scattering handfuls of confetti, squirting smoke from a portable smoke-squirting machine, firing streamers from a streamer-firing gun, shining hand-held searchlights into the audience, strapping a dazzling strobe light to his chest, daubing his head with fake blood, fending off the giant balloons that were bouncing around the arena, and singing in his sweet, vulnerable, high-register voice about robots and suicide bombers and Vaseline and love.

Musically, they've come on a bit in the course of their career: it's taken them 20-odd years, but finally they sound like a proper group. The three permanent members of the band - Coyne, Steven Drozd on guitar and keyboards, and Michael Ivins on bass and keyboards, plus touring drummer Kliph T Scurlock - created a sound that was big and deep and rich enough to defeat the venue's notoriously dodgy acoustics, while Coyne's voice reached the high notes without straining.

Among the highlights: a ferocious Free Radicals, from their new At War With the Mystics album, and the gloriously, joyfully melancholic show-stopper Do You Realize??.

"Music can't change the world," acknowledged Coyne before they played their one encore, a very faithful version of Black Sabbath's anti-war anthem, War Pigs. But if any of the world's demons were lurking in the rafters, they will surely have been driven out by the sheer exuberance of these loveable madmen.

lips were great on NYE..

But I heard sets rarley change..

They also play the same dumb covers

and have the same stage show...

Transmissions is a GREAT album...

The first 2 songs ROCK,

I have no idea why the lips have become this kind of Act.