Wilco - Bloomington, IN 4.17.06

Froggy, dude - we're talking live Wilco shows here. :cheekkiss

You poor thing, we've just got to get you a live Wilco show soon. :ohwell

indeed... january 2003 was a long time ago :cheekkiss

next time someone speaks to jeff, ask him when the next australian trek will be :cheers

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good pics of the show from the student paper. First few are of the opener.

Overall I think it was a good show. My friends (both Wilco virgins) enjoyed it and I had a good time, though it wasn't as good as the other shows I've seen. And after experiencing the band with and without an opener, I have to say I appreciate the Evenings With Wilco a lot more. There were good performances from the band, especially considering it was the first night back on the road and they were running late due to traffic. I hung around before the show and they didn't get there until 5:30, and didn't finish the soundcheck until maybe an hour before the show. The guys seemed to be in good spirits then; wish I could have hung around after to say hi again and meet of of you all from the board.

He sang sans-guitar for a good deal of the post-midnight Madison Square Garden NYE extravaganza ... check out this rock star in his PJ's singing Judas Priest's "Livin After Midnight." :lol I took this from my seat next to the stage. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOot0oeRIkc

Thanks for posting that. (Sadly, I had to miss the MSG show.)

The other day, I was watching some old live performances from 1996/97 and Jeff used to sing "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" without a guitar (sometimes he did a little crowd surfing as well). :lol

Coming late to this party, but I have been on the road since the show....

I drove down to Bloomington alone and met up with the Detroit and Ft. Wayne crew, got a great seat from Wendy and had a blast. The show was fairly standard/excellent, with more keyboards mixed in than usual, which I thought was pretty special. Jeff looked great in the specs and long hair and he seemed really happy and engaged. It was pretty funny that he talked about the thread here on VC too.

The crowd was great, respectful and quiet in all the right places and rowdy as hell when cut loose. Frankly compared to the Abbey show, which should have been quiet, these folks were really good. Even after Jeff invited everyone down, people still behaved well and I moved down and had a great time. It looked like some of the crowd had not seen Wilco before and I hope it was a good show for newcomers. It was a pretty nice mix all in all.

Talking to Glenn and John after the show was fun and the drive back into Illinois and crashing in Danville was a trip. that last 30 miles wasn't much fun, but I threw on a bunch of CDs and just cruised the night.

All in all it was worth it; I like seeing Wilco in other locations than Chicago (I don't do this rock tourist thing much), since it appears the audiences don't take them for granted. Also the mix was different, the keyboards weren't burried under the guitars (in fact Nels was mixed kinda low...) and giving the other guys some place in the mix was great.

(I think the only thing I missed was a cover tune during the second encore...I got the feeling the band had to quit a touch early.)

LouieB

After having never seen a Wilco show until last month, I caught them on March 17 at the Ryman in Nashville and at this show in Bloomington, and both were two of the best experiences of my life. I don't think I've seen anyone live that kicks as much ass as Wilco does.

One question: does anyone know if there was a taper at the Bloomington show? I got a copy of the Ryman show (kick-ASS), and would love a copy of this one, as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Who was the opening band?

The Impossible Shapes

I would guess that this wasn't recorded or I would think it would be out by now, and I don't remembering seeing any set-up at the show