Hey fellow Wilco lovers...

I have been a long time reader of these beautiful forums and a new member...

Anyhoo...I have been playing guitar pretty happily without too much experimentation for years now and have even gotten myself some decent gear...

I currently am using a Fender Thinline Telecaster '69 Reissue...

I am in the market for a new Amp and will most likely be going with the Vox AC30...any other suggestions will be taken into deep consideration...I will be giggin...but mostly small venues for a while as my band is just getting started...

I would also like to start experimenting with FX and was wondering what kindof pedals you may recommend...I wish I was more technical and could explain exactly what I would like, but Im not even sure yet, cause this is a whole new realm for me...

I was thinking of getting one of those multi-effect programmable pedal boards? What do you think of those...I realize some of them are cheesy but some of the high-end types cant be too bad? Then again I dont know...

I mean I dont want to blow thousands of dollars or anything but I am looking to get something started...and I am looking for suggestions on how to drive things up a bit...

I appreciate all your help...

Edited by UrbanJesus

Hey, something to consider. An AC/30 is a nice amp and all but it's a big heavy cumbersome thing. You can probably get away w/ something that has a single speaker and less wattage, seriously;( I'm not saying you'll save any $ going this route but you might save your back and have more space for other gear in the back of your car). Lot's of small little 12-15W amps on the market right now that are loud enough to cut through the mix and are perfect for small clubs.

Hey, something to consider. An AC/30 is a nice amp and all but it's a big heavy cumbersome thing. You can probably get away w/ something that has a single speaker and less wattage, seriously;( I'm not saying you'll save any $ going this route but you might save your back and have more space for other gear in the back of your car). Lot's of small little 12-15W amps on the market right now that are loud enough to cut through the mix and are perfect for small clubs.

Thats a very good point...I was considering the AC15 as well...

And I do think the AC30 comes in a single speaker model...but Im not sure...

I'm going to agree with Jimmy in that an AC30 is probably too loud for small clubs - you're going to want to be able to make your amp work hard for it sound the best. You'd be able to push an AC15 harder without pissing people off, and if you move to larger venues you're usually mic'ed anyway.

As for effects, multi-effects can be cheesy, but for a person who is new to effects they can also be a good start. The Zoom G2 is cheap ($99), quiet, and has quite good effects for a digital multi. Even if one were to move to individual pedals, these things are useful in case you want to have, say, a flanger on one song but you dont want to buy a dedicated flanger pedal.

I would say to start, a tuner and an overdrive or booster is enough if going the single pedal route. Delay is great, but it depends on the music you're going to play. A country/"indie/alternative"/U2 cover band would need delay. A Rolling Stones-type band, not so much. To drive the amp, a decent treble booster into a Vox is a pretty classic setup. For overdrive, many AC-30 (or AC-15) users swear by the Crowther Hotcake.

touche :)

What song do you think he uses that on?

I'm still hesitant to recommend delays until the user has an idea of how he/she would use one. I'm with you on analog delays, but those are pricey.

:cheers

Tee hee, I'm just busting you, John. You're absolutely right, though, delays aren't for everybody or every situation. When I saw Jay Bennett solo, he just had a clean boost. But you'll probably use a delay more than a flanger, phaser, or wah-wah (I do at least).

I've seen used DOD analog delays on Ebay go for around $60 (the 80's stompbox verson, not the 70's car battery version). You have to like that sound, though.

To answer your question, I'd guess Keef was using that on one of the new songs, you know the ones they wrote after people stopped caring about them, or he has it on all the time for a subtle thickening.

What kindof tele do you play? I just got mine recently and I was never a huge fan of tele's until I got it, got it setup and played it...It plays beautifully...not too mention it is a gorgeous guitar...I couldnt be happier that I went with the 69 reissue...

That's one sweet tele, G. I love Teles and have more than a few. I'll probably sell a couple of them as I am strapped for cash now. My number one is a CIJ 60's Telecaster Custom Reissue with Bigsby (much like Pat plays -- I don't dance around as much, though). I have Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups in it right now (all of the electronics got swapped out for American parts) but I might try something else sometime soon.

I'm making a partscaster with a Squier standard body, Warmorth neck, and Bigsby vibrato (I love the wiggle!) but I've been profoundly lazy lately. I need to put a nut, tuners, and new electronics on and then I'll be done (after a proper set-up). I'm hoping to make it my back-up Tele.

I got to love Teles around when I discovered James Burton -- I was over the moon and I had to get his exact tone. I never really liked them before that but now they're my favorite. I don't really play country anymore (even though it's the only style I play even remotely well) but I kept the Tele.