ipod / itunes related question.

Im normally pretty good with stuff like this but im completely stuck with this....

Ok, my ipod is synched up with my itunes library on my mac at home. My itunes library says its got 9278 songs in it - yet, (even though its synched) my ipod says it has 9234.

Ive reformated my ipod and added the library again but to no avail. All of the tracks are selected in the library so thats not it.

Has anyone got any clues as to what to do?

Cheers :)

Initial thoughts - are there songs listed in your iTunes that aren't actually physically on your computer? Say you deleted the source files but the "ghost" of them is still listed in iTunes. Then, when it came to synching it wouldn't find them to copy over?

These are normally indicated by an (!) mark in the library... this'll also apply to duplicated songs too...

Hmmm, well, I know for a fact there arent any songs missing from the library as ive checked for the ! sign.

I guess some songs could be duplicated. But surely they would appear on the ipod?

Is it possible that you have 40-ish video files in iTunes and don't have a video iPod?

Nah - havent got any video files on my mac.

Hmmm, well, I know for a fact there arent any songs missing from the library as ive checked for the ! sign.

I guess some songs could be duplicated. But surely they would appear on the ipod?

The ! only shows up if that song has played and it isn't available. So unless you've listened to every single song on there, it won't show up.

The ! only shows up if that song has played and it isn't available. So unless you've listened to every single song on there, it won't show up.

Oh, in that case I suppose I could delete all of my library - then add all of the songs from the hard-drive from scratch. Then re-update the ipod.

Surely that would solve the ! problem if thats whats causing it.

Oh, in that case I suppose I could delete all of my library - then add all of the songs from the hard-drive from scratch. Then re-update the ipod.

Surely that would solve the ! problem if thats whats causing it.

That sounds like a lot of work. I'd just let it go.

Not really. Select all the folders and drag them into itunes.

And I cant let it go, as im ridiculously anal.

Is there no option to "consolidate" the library and check for tracks that aren't available?

The newest version of itunes has an option to "show all duplicate songs." this option will show duplicate songs even if they are on different albums-it's anything with the same song title. It's in the "Edit" menu, but I use itunes with windows....maybe you've got 40ish duplicates and your ipod was smart enough not to pick them up......

If you've moved any of the songs on your computer, that will cause the (!) due to itunes not being able to find the song in its "proper" location. This is similar to the ghost song referred to earlier.

The newest version of itunes has an option to "show all duplicate songs." this option will show duplicate songs even if they are on different albums-it's anything with the same song title. It's in the "Edit" menu, but I use itunes with windows....maybe you've got 40ish duplicates and your ipod was smart enough not to pick them up......

If you've moved any of the songs on your computer, that will cause the (!) due to itunes not being able to find the song in its "proper" location. This is similar to the ghost song referred to earlier.

I'll get the new version then cheers. Last night I did what I mentioned earlier in the thread and deleted my entire library and ipod. Then re-imported from my external drive where I keep all of my music.

It took bloody ages to copy and I was hoping for a result, but according to my ipod I there are still 26 songs missing.

I'll get the new version then cheers. Last night I did what I mentioned earlier in the thread and deleted my entire library and ipod. Then re-imported from my external drive where I keep all of my music.

It took bloody ages to copy and I was hoping for a result, but according to my ipod I there are still 26 songs missing.

Wow, you really are "anal" :P

• 8 months later...

Is this the so-called "iPod Killer"? I have a 4G iPod, but it never leaves my house. I have been using my Treo with 2GB memory card for my mobile music needs for a while now. But I have always said it would be the most logical next step as broadband mobile becomes ubiquitous to just stream from your home collection. I predict the first versions of this will be clunky and have less than adequate sound (for me at least), but in a few years time (at most), I predict the end of large HD DAPs in favor of solutions such as this.