Pitchfork Music Festival

Okay, my take on the first day of Pitchfork...

Parking wasn't too bad. We parked near the public housing and walked over. It was already crowded at 1 and I headed over to see 8 Bold Souls, but only caught the last half of their set, which was in a tent and very hot. (temp and material.) The DJs up next were doing a DJ thing that got boring pretty fast.

We then found a place in the shade, after checking out the record tent. The sound was loud enough to hear both stages even from a distance. It was possible to walk up and get pretty close on the sides and see the bands and that was cool. It was so hot that standing out and watching a full set was hard. Tm from the Hideout was the MC for the stages and was doing his usual bang up job.

Of the bands I liked, Band of Horses was pretty good. Nice snappy short songs with lots of guitar. Destroyer was really good, with a great piano player, but Dan Bejars ennunciation started to get to me after awhile.

Art Brut was off in the distance at the other stage and they REALLY pissed me off. I guess if it had not been hot and all their version of loud punk would have been okay, but it seemed like their set went on forever.

We stood for Ted Leo and he was really great. I liked his super powerpop type style and he was very engaging.

I really wanted to stay for the Silver Jews, but saw them a few months ago and just couldnt handle another two hours in the heat to wait, so we split and figured we would return today.

I have to admit, I think I am getting to old for these types of fests. I like the city fests and the smaller stuff like the OTS and neighborhood stuff, but this thing is really packed with people, nearly all in their teens and 20s and nearly all white. I would really enjoy (and have enjoyed) seeing some of these groups in clubs, which is less exhausting and less of a hassle. Yesterday seemed more like an endurance test than a nice day out. Today promises to be even worse, with a larger crowd, bigger name groups, hotter temps, worse air quality, etc. Also we are going to go later so we can stay later and maybe hit an after fest at the Hideout. All I can say is I am glad I am missing Lolla. This will do it for me for awhile. Even Flah fest a few years back was just one day. This two day thing is really too much. Three would kill me.

LouieB

I would really enjoy (and have enjoyed) seeing some of these groups in clubs, which is less exhausting and less of a hassle. Yesterday seemed more like an endurance test than a nice day out.

I've always wanted things like P'Fork and whatever other festival to be turned into more of a SXSW type thing where all of the venues in town have good shows most of the day and you can skip around and see whatever indoors. It kind of makes getting around a pain in the ass, which is the obvious drawback, but I went to Pitchfork last year and the heat makes it a larger pain in the ass.

It hasn't rained here at all...only a few miles away from the festival...it would sort of make me really really happy if it's raining when I get down there though. I wouldn't mind a little rain to cool things down. I'm not headed down there for a bit longer still though...I just want to get ther early enough to scout out a good spot for Mission of Burma.

Before I get busy today.....Greg Kots take on the event....

Now mine. Day two was less humid and hot than day one, but far more crowded. Rather than go early (and sadly missing Nels and Jeff Parker) we went later so we could make it to the end, which was NOT bitter at all.

We plunked down in about the same spot as the day before. Just in time to hear Mr. Lif and Aesop Rock. These guys were good for the first 20 minutes afterwards I lost interest. After chillling through the rest of their set I headed over to see Mission of Burma at the other stage and got relatively close for an ear spliting and very cool set from these punk vets. They were quite good and very fun to see. After that I headed over for the tent to see Glenn's set. It was very crowded, but I managed to work my way up slowly but surely as some in the crowd either got too hot (the tent was stiffling) or realized that a Wilco show was not about to break out. Glenn was great as usual and the crowd appreciative, but after about 2 numbers the place emptied out in the back. Afterwards a few of us hung out by the backstage acting like fans and talked to the rest of Wilco, including Jeff and his family and the other other members and got a couple minutes to say hi.

I retreated back to the blanket, having missed most of Yo La Tengo, who I had wanted to see, but didn't seem to be projecting all that well. Spoon came on as the sun was going down on my side of the park. I liked Spoon's groove and songs, but considering they were playing in front of 10,000 people they weren't putting out much energy. Two thirds through their set we packed up and headed to the other side of the park for Os Mutantes. Alot of Spoon's fans split, leaving a hefty number still there for the finale, which got off to a slightly rocky start, but came around soon and was not a disappointment at all. Os Mutantes would have been more appropriate for the OTS fest or World Music Fest, but they captured the crowd with their danceable music and their positive vibe. Singing in a combination of Portegese and English and playing latin style tunes and more psychadelic type stuff, they were worth waiting for and got everyone dancing.

All in all the two day event was pretty fun. I heard good things about any number of groups I didn't see including the Silver Jews (from the day before) and the Nationals. I had fun record shopping, picking up a $3 copy of the Smoking Popes LP "Get Fired" and the 13 LP set of the Art Tatum Solo Masterpeices for $75, something I have wanted for a couple decades.

Would I go again. Don't know. The event made me feel pretty old and pretty tired, but I would consider it again. It was relatively well organized, though crowded as expected. The non-corporate nature of the thing was really really nice and it was a great way to see some old favorites and get exposed to some new groups, as mentioned earlier, Ted Leo was a revelation.

I am not sad I am missing Lollapalooza, but certain am looking forward to the Hideout Block Party, which is going to totally insane.

LouieB