who knew "tar baby" was an offensive term?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Complaining? He was talking to an Indian American supporter.

And to repeat, I do not think Romney meant his comment as a racial slur.

I just saw the clip from C-SPAN on YouTube, and it's been my experience that people don't usually say stuff like that about a particular ethnic group being entrenched in a particular endevor and mean it in a positive way. I'm sure that the Indian population in Delaware loves to have their Senator typecasting them as working in a 7-11. That's what the Simpson's are for!

For him to complain about that seems totally out of character with his track record, but that's what I hear when he says that. So I guess Joe's gotten himself into a bit of a tar baby.

:o Sorry, couldn't resist. :no

From the Wall Street Journal's opinion page . . .

This prompted one of Eugene Volokh's readers to post the following anecdote:

There's a sign near a ravine at a golf course I played with an Asian friend that said, "Caution, dangerous slope."

We spent the next two holes debating whether it would be funnier to complain to management in mock indignation, or hide in the ravine and suprise [sic] the next foursome with some beligerent [sic] actions.

The debate apparently was unresolved, leaving an "unstable compromise slippery slope."