Youtube Jesus Etc Instructions

This guy is very talented but I think he might be off on a couple of things:

(1) I'm pretty sure you should capo 5th fret not 4th to get it in the key Wilco plays it.

(2) The chorus does not have an E chord (relative to the capo) but a G#aug which you can play like this (or some fraction of this), again, relative to the capo:

e--------

B---1----

G---1----

D---2----

A--------

E---4----

So the chords in the chorus go C C/B Am G#aug F C G

(3) It wouldn't hurt (though I haven't listened carefully enough to verify that this indeed takes place) to swap some of the Am and Em chords in the verse with Am7 and Em7 chords (it give it some character).

You can leave out the bass on the G#aug. It shouldn't matter. I always considered it akin to Dm/C#.

Right, I haven't listened closely enough to the recording to get the actual voicing used, but all of these will probably sound okay, choose what sounds best to you (I tend to like the first two):

e-------|-------|-------|-------|---0---|

B---1---|---1---|---1---|---1---|---1---|

G---1---|---1---|---1---|---1---|---1---|

D---2---|---2---|---2---|---2---|---2---|

A-------|-------|---3---|---3---|-------|

E---4---|-------|-------|---4---|-------|

And so on...

WARNING - CONFUSING PART: You could think of it as a Dm/C# (which is not relative to the capo) except that there is no D in the chord only C# F A, which spells out C#aug (or G#aug with the capo).

I usually play it like

e--------

B---1----

G---1----

D---2----

A---0----

E---4----

making it an Am(maj7) (or whatever the proper term is) I often dont play the low E strings too if I'm feeling lazy

probably 6 one way a half dozen the other - as long as that G# note gets in there, it all sort of sounds the same in a band situation.

Edited by jhc