The end of parties....

He's a two-face, no doubt about it.

Similarly, as liberal as I am, I once really respected Hillary but that also is waning in my mind.

Here's to Gore '08.

As one of the only fans of Al Gore in 2000 it would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen. Hillary is the front runner based on name recognition, etc. Otherwise they will find some band new to stick up in 08 hoping nothing sticks to the new person and they get some votes based on the fact that they are NOT a Republican.

I bet the 08 election also downplays party affiliation, but that will be not quite possible.

LouieB

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know that Gore is basically already counted-out, but if I had my way he'd be the President in 2008.

I hope Hillary doesn't run, as much as I'd like to see a smart female president. If she does run, I'll still vote for her, but she's so polarizing it's scary.

do you think Hillary would have a better shot at winning than Gore?

I don't. I think the one way that the Democrats can guarantee that they won't win the White House in 2008 is to nominate Hillary. Any other candidate, male or female, white or minority -- I think they're even money or better. Hillary -- no way in hell will she get elected.

She's the most hated politician in the country. If you want to see the right wing bring record numbers out to the polls, put Hillary Clinton at the top of the ticket. There are even plenty of Democrats who probably wouldn't vote for her, only making her defeat that much more likely.

My dream ticket in '08 would be Kucinich/Obama.........that would give me reasonable hope for our political future.

-Robert.

That sounds pretty good to me, although Kucinich's preoccupation with high gas prices bugs me a little. As far as I'm concerned, let the prices rise and force us to find alternatives! It's going to happen anyway.

My dream ticket in '08 would be Kucinich/Obama.........that would give me reasonable hope for our political future.

-Robert.

Kucinich is also finished, but Obama may still have some legs....

Once again I suspect then when the dust clears a couple years from now, the Dems will put up someone that few people have ever heard of just so they can clear off all the baggage.

LouieB

Kucinich is also finished, but Obama may still have some legs....

Once again I suspect then when the dust clears a couple years from now, the Dems will put up someone that few people have ever heard of just so they can clear off all the baggage.

LouieB

I suspect,unfortunatley you are correct........ :hmm

-Robert.

It would be nice to have a viable third party (and I mean truly viable) that can unite the two ideologies by combining their views into a more flexible platform. Both Dems and Republicans want change in the country, but they both want it their way and no other. Elections are 50/50 because the public isn't sure that there's even a difference between the two, and all of the unanswered questions are ones without definitive answers (abortion, stem cells, gay marriage). After all, liberals can be anti-abortion, republicans can be anti-homophobia, and both can be pro-stem cells. But there is no flexibility within the parties. I just hope that in the end, they both choose to support human rights, fight racism, and protect the environment (but that's farther off than anything).

The "Bull Moose" Party, anyone?? I could wrap my head around that. Tris...you are absolutely right......we need at least five viable parties to reall jump start our representitive form of government.....having just two is too polarizing in our modern age.

-Robert.

There's also the problem of the media telling voters whether or not a candidate is "electable" before they ever go to the polls.

Mass media has really proven to be a real pain in the ass.....but researching candidates for office for most people these days is akin to......root canal and an enema all at once.....they just don't want too deal with it.

-Robert.

There's also the problem of the media telling voters whether or not a candidate is "electable" before they ever go to the polls.

The media needs reform too, and it's a long time coming. Too bad people are addicted to the television. It'll happen eventually.

But the real problem is not just that the media tells people that a candidate isn't electable- although it's a travesty that elections are made-for-TV events at all- the real problem is that the media will regurgitate anyone's statement and portray it as truth, as long as they can attribute it to someone. And in this day and age, nobody hears anything beyond the first statement. Factual mistakes and retractions are admitted about 1/4 as loudly as the original statement and nobody's listening anyway. If it's a few seconds in the past, it's old news, even when it comes to retraction and apology. Happens every day.

Also- people so often ask for apology whether it's deserved or not, and we can never tell who's in the right, so we just ignore them all.

amen to that!!!

Something gotta hurt us long and hard enough to precipitate any kind of change in mindset.

-Robert.

I don't think it's OUR mindset that needs changing -- the big boys haven't figured out how to replicate oil profits with alternative energy sources yet. :brow

I'll never understand why people hate Hillary so much -- other than she's a little too conservative for my tastes. In large part I think we're not ready yet for the idea of a female prez.

I have become completely cynical about politics ever turning around -- it will take someone with astounding leadership skills and true wisdom to reverse the downward trajectory of the corrupt two party system. Itd be nice to have a clean slate Congress -- no incumbents allowed. While we're at it -- equal public campaign funding with limited mass media advertising (because campaigning isn't much more than advertising at this point). Cripple corporate donations and the lobbying machine. Require candidates to spell out their platforms in writing, and mail a comparison of positions without the public posturing to every voter (the downside being that people would have to read).

I don't agree with all of them, but those are some pretty interesting ideas.

The gov't definitely needs the people to put them in a tighter stranglehold (or one at all) instead of vice versa.