The end of parties....

WHATDISAY. A guy with an opinion, American, and editor of his own thoughts (1971 - present), was simply making a point about the ease with which one may spew eternal the negative outlooks and pessimisms of learned men and women, and the difficulty involved in getting off one's ass and making a postive contribution to the world in which one lives.

Mencken was a good journalist, and that was a positive contribution to world in which he lived. Nothing personal was intended - I rarely launch ad hominem attacks. Not cricket.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This, coming from a lawyer?

:o

yes, yes. THIS, coming from a lawyer. Hey, look, I post on VC, I contributed to the "keep homeless people from being smelly" fund, I handed out water at the African-Americans-Who-Talk-Like-White-Republicans' Seven Man March, I routinely tip at the car wash--I'm MAKING a positive contribution, damnit!!!

Another quote from a learned man:

Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.

Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)

That must be one of the most absurd statements I've read in awhile. Lawyers are routinely suspended, fined, disbarred and even jailed for their ignorance of the law. Granted, probably not enough, but it happens nonetheless.

Haha, I'll let you off, but only because 3 of my best friends are about to graduate from law school.

I won't deny, though, that when they told me they were going to law school, I asked "Aren't there enough lawyers?"

Mencken was a good journalist, and that was a positive contribution to world in which he lived. Nothing personal was intended - I rarely launch ad hominem attacks. Not cricket.

I didn't take what was posted personally at all. And I enjoyed the Mencken quotes. I've read a lot of Nietzsche too, but I don't use it in my gameplan to aid America in its pursuit of happiness and horrid popular music.

He would make a good assemblyman or NYC common council member.