Copying Sony Music

Has anyone here copied new Sony Cd's onto backup discs. I'm looking to put My Morning Jacket's 'Z' onto my PC then onto a blank Maxell disc. I prefer not to carry the original in my car for obvious reasons. When I went to preform the task a Sony agreement box came up asking me to agree to let them put software on my PC to limit the # of copies I make. Has anyone run into this that can let me know what to expect? and if I should do it? I seem to recall an article saying it could damage the PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. B)

Click for more info

Start with a Windows 2000/XP system with empty CD drives.

Click the Start button and select Control Panel from the Start Menu.

Double-click on the System control panel icon.

Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.

Configure Device Manager by clicking "Show hidden devices" and "Devices by connection," both from the View menu.

Insert the Anthony Hamilton CD into the computer and allow the SunnComm software to start. If MediaMax has never been started before on the same computer, the SbcpHid driver should appear on the list for the first time. However, on some systems Windows needs to be rebooted before the driver becomes visible.

At this point you can attempt to copy tracks from the CD with applications like MusicMatch Jukebox or Windows Media Player. Copies made while the driver is active will sound badly garbled, as in this 9-second clip [10].

Next, follow these additional steps to disable MediaMax:

Select the SbcpHid driver from the Device Manager list and click "Properties" from the Action Menu.

Click the Driver tab and click the Stop button to disable the driver.

Set the Startup Type to "Disabled" using the dropdown list.

With the driver stopped, you can verify that the same applications copy every track successfully. Setting the Startup Type to disabled prevents MediaMax from restarting when the computer is rebooted. It will remain deactivated until LaunchCD.exe is allowed to run again.

Equivalently, executing the following commands from the Command Prompt will deactivate MediaMax:

net stop sbcphid

del %systemroot%\system32\drivers\sbcphid.sys

I did this for the MMJ disc. I first had to remove the driver from my PC, re-boot, and THEN hold CTRL-SHIFT to prevent the CD from automatically re-installing the driver. Everything worked great from there.

After I ripped the CD, I then burned the files as a new audio CD. Works perfectly. And this process is much easier than it probably looks!

stuff like that pisses me off. i'll seriously illegally download anything on sony rather than buy it and then throw money at whatever bands at their merch table. of course, i really can't think of too much on sony i want to hear.

And this process is much easier than it probably looks!

Thanks Beltmann. I appreciate the help. I'll give it a shot tommorow (today) when I'm fresh.

Good luck. :hmm

Yes indeed. With computers I'll take all the luck I can get. And I am hoping it's easier than it looks. B)