The Sadies In Concert Vol 1

I've been listening to the Sadies In Concert Volume 1 on constant repeat this past weekend. It's to the point where this is now up there with the best live albums. The guest stars are pretty great (well except for an over the edge Jon Spencer). Neko Case, Greg Keelor, Jon Langford, Kelly Hogan, Bob Egan, Garth Hudson, Max Danger, Andre Ethier, Gary Louris, Steve Alibini etc all show up for the incredible set of concerts on which the CD is based. Up to now I had more admired the Sadies and their strange mix of undertaker/surf-punk country than really been a fan. This thing as totally changed my mind.

B000GG4N1A.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64453560_.jpg

http://exclaim.ca/index.asp?layid=22&c...&csid1=5440

The Sadies

The Family Way

By Jason Schneider

July 26, 2006

sadies.jpg

The Family Way

Waterloo had never seen a gathering of musicians like this. In the dressing room of the Starlight Club, Steve Albini and Jon Spencer caught up with Neko Case, while Blue Rodeo

Edited by lizish

God-Michelangelo.jpg

Thou shalt check 'em out!

AUGUST

25 f Woodstock, NY Bearsville Theatre with Heavy Trash

26 sa Rochester, NY Bug Jarwith Heavy Trash

30 w New York, NY Conan O'Brien with Neko

31 th Montreal, QC TBC Conf.as Heavy Trash

SEPTEMBER

1 f Rouyn Noranda Festival de Musique as Heavy Trash @ El Paso Saloon

2 sa Rouyn Noranda Festival de Musique as Heavy Trash @ El Paso Saloon

8 f Toronto, ON The Horseshoe

9 sa Toronto, ON The Horseshoe

15 f Guelph, ON Vinyl

16 sa Hamilton, ON Casbah

21 th Cleveland, OH Beachland Ballroom with Heavy Trash

22 f Detroit, MI Lager House with Heavy Trash

23 sa Chicago, IL Schubas with Heavy Trash

24 su Minneapolis, MN 7th Street Entry with Heavy Trash

25 m Madison, WI High Noon Saloon with Heavy Trash

29 f Champaign, IL High Dive with Heavy Trash

30 sa Louisville, KY Lebowski Festival with Heavy Trash

OCTOBER

1 su Nashville, TN Mercy Lounge with Heavy Trash

2 m Birmingham, AL Bottle Tree with Heavy Trash

3 tu Atlanta, GA The Earl with Heavy Trash

4 w Asheville, NC Grey Eagle

5 th Charlottesville, VA Satellite Ballroom with Heavy Trash

6 f Baltimore, MD Ottobar with Heavy Trash

7 sa Hoboken, NJ Maxwell's with Heavy Trash

8 su New York, NY Joe

I listened to it in the car yesterday. Is there any particular reason the sound HAS to be this mushy or was it just the sound in the car I was in? Way too much crowd noise too. It sounds like it was recorded IN the crowd, like a bootleg.

Great stuff though in general.

LouieB

Lee's Palace has not the best acoustics in the world. Jon Spencer going all mississippi mud howl certainly doesn't help. It was probably a trade off between the Horseshoe with much better acoustics but smaller stage and seating, and Lee's which is a big friggin concert barn.

I like the crowd noise - and the effortless mixing between songs shows how good Albini is at doing this stuff.

love the 'Top That' at the end of Ethier's 'Talking Down' and IMO, it doesn't get topped.

Edited by lizish
oh for the power to delete other's unfunny posts.

I'm not trying to be funny. I prefer Sean's earlier work in Phleg Camp (at least the stuff on Allied) to the Sadies. The "Bully My Pushy" double 7" was an amazing release.

Besides, this is a message board. Sometimes disagreement and the intentional derailment of topics is fun and welcome.

Lee's Palace has not the best acoustics in the world. Jon Spencer going all mississippi mud howl certainly doesn't help. It was probably a trade off between the Horseshoe with much better acoustics but smaller stage and seating, and Lee's which is a big friggin concert barn.

I like the crowd noise - and the effortless mixing between songs shows how good Albini is at doing this stuff.

love the 'Top That' at the end of Ethier's 'Talking Down' and IMO, it doesn't get topped.

Crowd noise is fine, but there is little excuse at this point for muddy sound like that, unless one is trying to reproduce the REAL sound at an ordinary show (which this shouldn't have been.) I don't mean to be that critical, because I really like the Sadies and have seen them back up both Langford and Case (what's with Jon Spenser anyway and why start disk too off with that nonsense???) as well as seen them by themselves and I think they are the best. It is possible to get good sound from even a shitty sounding hall if you record the musicians and NOT the hall. This isn't 1965 or so when people had no clue how to record live rock bands.

I plan to listen to this album alot, at least the people I want to hear and the fantastic intrumentals that the Sadies have produced, but some of the rest....I don't know.

LouieB