tonight's the night

I used to love the simpsons, but in recent years it has been more of a :yawn , then anything else. I think the show has become a parody of itself. But tonight I have nothing to do, I might as well turn on the TV and watch Jack and Meg. More then likely they will only be part of the episode for a few minutes in the beginning and a bit at the end. So I am not expecting anything great

any time you have a show, especially a comedy, that runs as long as the simpsons has there are always going to be lulls and a big part of that is turnover in terms of the writing staff. that said i think last season was probably the best season since season eight, it was a definite step up from the two or three seasons before it. and judging by last weeks episode i think there is a lot to look forward to with this season as well

but then again, i am an admitted simpsons addict

Guess I am the hater on this thread, becasue it was not funny nor clever. 12 minutes in the episode, and I wish I would have watched the Dallas/Redskins pregame. Ok it is not that bad.

the Simpsons definitely don't have the same edge that they used to. :ohwell

i guess i'm the only one who liked it. oh well. i, too hoped for a bigger role for jack and meg, but i didn't really expect it because it's really rare for them to have a cameo that lasts longer than a scene or two.

this wasn't my favorite episode, but i definitely enjoyed it... i don't think the simpsons has lost its edge at all, i just think they are more willing to do episodes that focus more on distinct elements. they definitely still have some very edgy episodes.

but i'll stop there. i could go on all night.

"Little Green Bag," by the George Baker Selection. That bit was lampooning Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs.

I think the show has become a parody of itself.

I used to think that too, but judging from the last year's worth of episodes or so, it's degenerated beyond even self-parody. The joke formulae remain the same, but the plugged-in punchlines feel like a tenth grader's idea of funny lately.

And yes, I watch the show only out of habit (and I guess because it's on just prior to Seth MacFarlane's shows). Switching the dial over to Fox when the Simpsons starts is almost like a reflex. You know, like when a depressed old man goes through the motions of his mundane life. I should really stop watching. Heck, maybe I will. It'll be like a New TV Year's Resolution.