Hey kids! The army is just like those shoot 'em up games you like so much!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

av-3857.jpg

... if you have a problem with it, you're dumb or something.

Look out kids, Black Bart is back in town and he is pissed.

I have a real peeve about violence as entertainment, particularly for children (and by children I mean teenagers). My son (who was forbidden to have one of those game things in my house for that reason) doesn't see anything wrong with killing e-people for fun. Hey, he even thinks it's okay to let his 7month old son watch him do it. :realmad

With the Pentagon being in the war game biz it makes sense for them to do this, but I wonder if other producers of these games get grants from the military to develop them because they do such a good job of inuring people (men) to violence.

Disclaimer: The opiner also disapproves of DVD players in cars for children.

I have a real peeve about violence as entertainment, particularly for children (and by children I mean teenagers). My son (who was forbidden to have one of those game things in my house for that reason) doesn't see anything wrong with killing e-people for fun. Hey, he even thinks it's okay to let his 7month old son watch him do it. :realmad

With the Pentagon being in the war game biz it makes sense for them to do this, but I wonder if other producers of these games get grants from the military to develop them because they do such a good job of inuring people (men) to violence.

How do you feel about Dungeons and Dragons and AC/DC records? From a parental standpoint of course.

I didn't even let my son have play guns when he was little, I feel they learn enough about violence at public schools and of course the media shoves it down our throat. :no

On the one hand, success with these games is a predictor for certain types of skills that can be valuable in combat. On the other hand, it kind of takes the whole honor/duty/country concept out of the equation.

You lost me at Christian Science Monitor.

I thought the same thing when I first heard the name, but Christian Science Monitor isn't what you think.

They are a highly-balanced and widely-respected news organization. They write quality news articles that you won't find elsewhere.

from Wikipedia:

Despite its name, the Monitor was not established to be a religious-themed paper, nor does it directly promote the doctrine of its patron church. However, at its founder Eddy's request, a daily religious article has appeared in every issue of the Monitor. Eddy also required the inclusion of "Christian Science" in the paper's name, over initial opposition by some of her advisors who thought the religious reference might repel a secular audience.

The only reason it is called Christian Science Monitor is because the founder, in 1908.

Jill Carroll, a reporter who was kidnapped by insurgents in Iraq (you must've heard about it) worked for CSM, as well.

I cant take anyone seriously who refuses medical treatment on religious grounds.

Me either. Fortunately, this newspaper is really unrelated to those whakos, despite its unfortunate title.

I bet, however, in 1901, refusing medical some treatment was about as sensible as taking it.

How do you feel about Dungeons and Dragons and AC/DC records? From a parental standpoint of course.

They weren't old enough for it. From a parental standpoint, however, I will restate my PERSONAL OPINION that rap is crap. :)

Crap, I'm a bad mom...

My kids play with GI Joe, little plastic army men, guns, video games like Medal of Honor, Halo 2, Starwars Battlefront II. If I don't let them play with guns, they'll find other objects and use those as guns anyways. Heck, my 4 year old (when he was 2 or 3) used a cross as a gun in the past.

Oh, but to get back on topic...I see nothing wrong with a video game being used as a recruiting tool...

They weren't old enough for it. From a parental standpoint, however, I will restate my PERSONAL OPINION that rap is crap. :)

From a young, non-parental standpoint, I don't think that there's much we can do to limit our kids' exposure to certain things. I know from personal experience as a teen, that forbidden things were more attractive to me than parentally-condoned things.

I'm not sure how I will approach this as a father, whenever that happens. I will try to teach my kids about sane, rational choice on a personal level, lead by example, etc. I know that I will have to accept a degree of isanity during the teen-young adult years, though, at least until they're old enough to realize how much they depend on me, and start to love me again!

I don't think TV will be a problem because I don't watch it anyway, so I doubt I'll have cable. You can't do much about movies. I won't have video game consoles in the house (one smart move on my parents' part was to avoid buying video game systems for us. It didn't eliminate my desire to play video games, but it did make me TERRIBLE at playing, so I don't have much interest).

I think that parents' more urgent hurdle is regulation of the Internets.

I'm sure I do not know to whom you are referring. (Merrick was an asshole, btw)
Frederick Treves was a famous pioneer in abdominal surgery. In 1902 he performed an appendicectomy on King Edward VII. Today he is mostly remembered as the physician to the Elephant Man.

Nice Edit.