Banter, Best Of

Jeff telling the audience that Glenn is jammin' on the drums. He ask's the audience: (sic)"ladies, isn't Glenn hot?" The crowd hoots and hollers and JT replies...."well, unfortunately he's taken, ladies" (a slight pause and sthen said in an aside-like way: "taken with himself...."

Then there's the ugly scene in London when JT's ragging on the crowd telling them how glad they are to be going home: "this is the last night of the worst tour of our live's." This continues with JT interacting with an audience member and him replying: "I'll come out there and get you after the show." The exchange is more detailed and he refers to the British as speaking snottily at everything, etc. before launching into a pretty decent Kingpin.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's the ugly scene in London when JT's ragging on the crowd telling them how glad they are to be going home: "this is the last night of the worst tour of our live's." This continues with JT interacting with an audience member and him replying: "I'll come out there and get you after the show." The exchange is more detailed and he refers to the British as speaking snottily at everything, etc. before launching into a pretty decent Kingpin.

Was this the same show detailed in Learning How To Die? With Billy Bragg in the audience before he invites Wilco in on Mermaid Avenue?

Was this the same show detailed in Learning How To Die? With Billy Bragg in the audience before he invites Wilco in on Mermaid Avenue?

thats the Kingpin i mentioned above from shepperds bush from 1997

anyone got it or should i post it tonight when i get home?

thats the Kingpin i mentioned above from shepperds bush from 1997

anyone got it or should i post it tonight when i get home?

Oops, sorry froggie.

I've got it but am a dunce when it comes to setting it up for a file. Go to it when you get home, please.

These are the shows that I'm currently going through for selections:

1995-05-23 Boulder Colorado Fox Theatre

1997-02-19 Toronto Ontario, Canada Horseshoe Tavern

1997-05-10 San Francisco California Fillmore

1998-09-12 Lawrence Kansas Clinton Lake State Park

1999-03-11 Chicago Illinois Tower Records

1999-08-31 St. Petersberg Florida Janus Landing

1999-11-05 Cincinnati Ohio Bogart's

2000-09-17 Collingswood New Jersey Cooper River Island, WXPN

2001-07-04 Chicago Illinois Petrillo Music Shell

2001-09-26 Washington DC The 9:30 Club

2001-11-28 Seattle Washington Moore Theater

2001-12-05 Los Angeles California El Ray Theater

2002-04-27 Schenectady New York Union College

2002-07-30 Minneapolis Minnesota The Orpheum Theatre

2002-08-31 Vancounver Commodore Ballroom

2002-09-02 Seattle Washington Bumbleshoot

2002-11-02 Tampa Florida Tampa Theatre

2002-11-09 St. Louis Missouri Pageant

2003-06-28 Philadelphia Pennsylvania Penn's Landing

2004-11-13 San Jose California Center for the Performing Arts

2004-11-15 San Francisco California Fillmore

2004-11-20 Tempe Arizona Marquee Theatre

2004-12-31 New York New York Madison Square Garden

2005-02-16 Tampa Florida Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center

2005-03-14 London England Hammersmith Apollo

2005-06-28 Montreal Quebec Metropolis

2006-03-17 Nashville Tennesse Ryman Auditorium

2006-04-19 Portland Maine Merrill Auditorium

2006-06-28 Calgary Alberta, Canada University of Calgary

2006-06-29 Edmonton Alberta, Canada University of Alberta

2006-07-02 Duluth Minnesota Duluth Entertainment Convention Center

2006-07-10 Montreal Quebec, Canada Metropolis

2006-07-16 Florence Maine Pines Theater

2006-08-06 Chicago Illinois Lollapalooza

the detroit show from oct 5th, 2001 has him giving a physics lecture on how the sound waves from the talkers at the back travel straight to him.

the kingpin rant is from april 13, 1997

those late 2004 shows would have the president bush rants before christ for president

the best banter usually comes from his solo shows. there was the letter from germany banter during one of those jun 2002 shows.. i'll hunt that one down soon

...and these are the Tweedy shows I'm going through:

2003-01-06 Chicago Illinois Vic Theatre

2003-01-08 Chicago Illinois Vic Theatre

2003-01-09 Chicago Illinois Vic Theatre

2005-03-04 Chicago Illinois Vic Theatre

2005-03-05 Chicago Illinois Vic Theatre

2006-01-14 Chicago Illinois Living Room

2006-01-25 Chicago Illinois Benefit Gary Scheppers

2006-04-08 Chicago Illinois Letters to Santa

2006-08-16 Chicago Illinois Museum

These are the shows that I'm currently going through for selections:

2001-12-05 Los Angeles California El Ray Theater

they played 2 shows at the El Rey, I didnt know this was taped. Can it be torrented?

Thanks

...and these are the Tweedy shows I'm going through:

2003-01-08 Chicago Illinois Vic Theatre

2005-03-04 Chicago Illinois Vic Theatre

i think whole pot-smoking story is on the 2003 one and the 2005 has the "give it up for dash 7!" rant

here are some more goodies from 2002 and 2003, at jeff's solo shows:

no camera flashes / pot talk, 8 Jan 2003:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/82o75f

after henry and the h bombs, 10 Jun 2002:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mw7ue8

mountain bed chatter, 12 Jun 2002:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f8hjr3

woman has a penis, 10 Jun 2002:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4ngp36

woman has a penis, 12 Jun 2002:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/suforr

stan banter, 10 jun 2002:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d8tlo0

stan banter, 12 Jun 2002:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xt8i07

stupid shit, 8 Jan 2003:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kotekf

make my wife happy, 6 Jan 2003

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q133xc

As I was sifting through some of this material last night a thought struck me, and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on it.

When thinking of doing this project, and also what will be the final result of it, I have only been thinking in the context of the VC crowd. Meaning to say that as devoted fans of Jeff, we all find the banter fun and amusing and it makes each show feel a little more personal, etc., etc.

But I'd hate to see the final product getting traded on all the torrents sites or god forbid getting sold on ebay or something and feeling like I'm responsible for putting Tweedy's concert comments out there for people who may not give a rat's ass about Jeff or the band, or worse-- those who may want to use his words out of context against him or something.

I guess I'm just asking: could there be some negative fallout for Jeff for carrying through with this project? If so, should we just nix it, or are there ways of ensuring that it stays by and large amongst the VCers?

Just trying to be cautious about all of this.

Thanks for any input.

As I was sifting through some of this material last night a thought struck me, and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on it.

When thinking of doing this project, and also what will be the final result of it, I have only been thinking in the context of the VC crowd. Meaning to say that as devoted fans of Jeff, we all find the banter fun and amusing and it makes each show feel a little more personal, etc., etc.

But I'd hate to see the final product getting traded on all the torrents sites or god forbid getting sold on ebay or something and feeling like I'm responsible for putting Tweedy's concert comments out there for people who may not give a rat's ass about Jeff or the band, or worse-- those who may want to use his words out of context against him or something.

I guess I'm just asking: could there be some negative fallout for Jeff for carrying through with this project? If so, should we just nix it, or are there ways of ensuring that it stays by and large amongst the VCers?

Just trying to be cautious about all of this.

Thanks for any input.

Don't sweat it.

Also, you should get the "kissing Glenn's guns" banter from the 2/20/06 show in Dekalb IL. Let me know if you need it....

If that's the one where he says (jokingly) how embarassing it will be when such a compilation surfaces, then that should definitely be the last snippet of the collection. :)

i think it should be the first track :lol

its the "stupid shit" mp3 above

I'm putting together a little sampler now, although since the weekend is an out of town wilco trip, it probably won't get finished 'til next week. thanks again for all the suggestions and uploads, etc.

:thumbup

i would add the 10.06.2005 solo tweedy show at first avenue minneapolis. he spoke after gun ( i think) about how the song reminded him of ut for some reason because minneapolis was a place they always wanted to play. he mentions the uptown bar and bob stinson. there is also some banter on another track about camp fire songs, being a megalomaniac and how he keeps seeing the same people at shows and "how can i say this so that i will be new for you?". a great night. i also liked his banter from lollapalooza about his zit and that they were gonna start a cult. :cheers

i will definately be looking this up once it's put together. i'm always up for some pot smoking talk. once again VC folks always amaze me.

thanks again to froggie for sharing.

:D :music

I've only yet to see Wilco live twice, but at the Halifax show right before Airline to Heaven started he talked about us all imagining we were on a big ship. The show was outside on the waterfront. As he started to play, a train came by...it lasted until they ended the song. Jeff noticed and thought it was magic...it was cock!

• 1 month later...