Letter from a guy

Guest tandylacker

Not arguing or complaining about what he said, but very unlike any one from the Tillman family to write a letter like this...

At least from how they depict the family in the news...

Si also quoted Pat Tillman as saying the war was illegial. He apparently told some of the guys in his unit that he felt this way. I guess he felt it was a duty to serve his country in war, but he didnt agree with the Iraq war's aims.

The SI article really paints a different picture of Pat and his family than the rest of the media has, yet the Tillman brothers are no less heroic, in my opinion at least, for feeling the way they do.

Guest tandylacker
Actually, based on the Sports Illustrated article on Pat Tillman's death from a couple months ago, that's pretty much exactly what I would expect from Kevin Tillman.

Haven't heard much of the Tillmans since around the time Pat was killed. They seemed a little too gung-ho about fighting at the time. But I guess that was just hyped up.

Pretty easy to dissent on the war right now. If your dissenting were to in turn promote something non-patriotic, then that would clearly not be the most patriotic action. What would be the most patriotic action? To blindly follow someone? To blindly dissent? Probably best to not do either blindly and at this time, probably best to follow.

this idea of dissent being bad reminds me so much of sam adams after the revolution. republicans had shitloads of negative stuff to say about clinton, but now we're at war and need to fall in line lock step.

(disclaimer: i had lots of negative stuff to say about clinton, too. i never thought i'd see a day where i'd think he was a decent president. i sincerely hope no one comes along to make these the good old days.)

Haven't heard much of the Tillmans since around the time Pat was killed. They seemed a little too gung-ho about fighting at the time. But I guess that was just hyped up.

They were in favor of the war in Afghanistan, which was focused on the guy who ordered the 9/11 hijackings. They were not for the war in Iraq.

Guest tandylacker
this idea of dissent being bad reminds me so much of sam adams after the revolution. republicans had shitloads of negative stuff to say about clinton, but now we're at war and need to fall in line lock step.

I don't think it is bad in all cases...