Aaaaand does anybody know what "illiterati lumen fedei" means?

I'm assuming it's basically "the illiterate light is with us every night", either loosely or exactly. Is it latin? I've tried just googling it, but have come up with nothing. Thanks for amusing this young whippersnapper with his lyric inquiries.

" Illitterati lumen fidei

God is with us everyday

That illiterate light

Is with us every night"

That is the lyric where Jeff mentions it, I guess he refers to "Theologians they don't know nothing", and when they as the earthly representatives of God don't know nothing, then God doesn't either.

Guest Speed Racer

Not to be a Latin nerd, but 'illiterati' is with 'fidei,' not 'lumen,' therefore the rough translation would be the light of illiterate faith, or something to that effect.

" Illitterati lumen fidei

God is with us everyday

That illiterate light

Is with us every night"

That is the lyric where Jeff mentions it, I guess he refers to "Theologians they don't know nothing", and when they as the earthly representatives of God don't know nothing, then God doesn't either.

In the Bob Edwards interview (free podcast download from the roadcase), Jeff says "illiterate light" is not a negative or prejorative sense (like "God is illiterate"), but means that God transcends language or words.

He also says what a cherry ghost is ...

when you die you leave a sweet taste like how you were loved and did love or something

No. Even though he wrote it, I think Jeff's wrong. "Cherry ghost," looked at in context of the song and the album - A ghost is born - means in this case "brand-new," as in, "That's a real cherry Camaro you got there, Todd."

derivation of cetera ?

cetera.jpg

Not likely, since that's Latin, and Peter Cetera is Polish. "Cetera," of course, is a form of "ceterus, -a, -um," but as far as I know, the Latin word and the Polish surname are unrelated.

Santorum, on the other hand, comes directly from Latin, and means "of the saints."