Going to San Francisco, need a to do list

Hey, I'm hoping to pack as much into the 4 days I'll be there, so I'm up for anything. I'd like to eat at some restaurants that aren't terribly expensive, maybe go to some cafe's. If Alcatraz is still open I'd like to go there. I know very little about the place so any help is greatly appreciated. One thing, it's nice to come on this board and not be berated for asking a simple question, or for help. It's really hostile out there on the web, so this message board is quite a breath of fresh air.

Thanks, Luke

I'd second the Japanese Tea Garden, the Academy of Natural Sciences - if you're into that sort of thing. You could spend a whole day just in Golden Gate Park. The Presidio is also one of my favorite places - there's a great picnic spot right above Fort Point that has beautiful views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay and Sausalito. If you're into hiking, check out Mt. Tamalpais, not too far from SF - there's some very cool trails there. If you get tired of the city, and are up for a day trip, Santa Cruz is about an hour south of SF, along one of the most beautiful streches of highway you've ever seen. We're usually about 20 degrees warmer than SF too.

One of my favorite restaurants in SF is Little Joe's on Broadway. Good, cheap food. It's also about half a block from City Lights Bookstore, Vesuvio's and Francis Ford Coppola's restaurant (the food there is pretty expensive, but there's wine tasting for a reasonable price). Also, if you haven't booked a hotel yet, I love the San Remo, it's really clean and the rates are great.

Also, if you haven't booked a hotel yet, I love the San Remo, it's really clean and the rates are great.

And such a great location!

The SF Chronicle has a visitor's guide which is pretty good (http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/) and I see that this month one of my favorite recommendations, the Precita Eyes mural walk, is one of their picks.

If you're going to Golden Gate Park, you'll be in my neighborhood, the Inner Sunset. You'll enter the park at 9th Avenue to get to the Tea Garden, and right outside the park there is one of the best good/cheap eats neighborhoods in the city: http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/ne...nersunset.shtml

Check out those guides to the Mission, Hayes Valley, and Deco Ghetto, too. Interesting spots, and not too touristy.

If you have the time drive (or walk) across the GG bridge. There are some killer spots on the Marin County side to hike around and sit on the cliffs adjacent to the bridge. You get a tremendous view of the SF skyline and all of the bay from there.

Also if you have time, drive up / hike Mount Tamalpais (spelling?) beautiful. Most of Marin County is really nice...of course that's only if you want to spend a day outside of the city itself.

All of the other suggestions from the other people are dead on...you won't go wrong doing any of those things