I was fortunate enough to see the Eels show at Town Hall that was recorded for the DVD. Me and my friend are visible through most of the encore (especially during where they are playing the Prince Cover and Mr. E's BEautiful Blues. Great live show but songs are very depressing!

E, Butch, Grant Lee Phillips and Jon Brion: I Like Birds

This is from the sadly aborted Jon Brion show, planned for VH-1 in the late nineties, which never aired. Anyway, it's awesome. Grant Lee Phillips is hysterical, highly recommended.

--Mike

that is great stuff. I love E. I can't believe he released another B-sides rarity album...I thought I just bought one. For those of you who haven't experienced Eels, I highly recommend the new greatest hits album. Looks to be very complete.

that is great stuff. I love E. I can't believe he released another B-sides rarity album...I thought I just bought one. For those of you who haven't experienced Eels, I highly recommend the new greatest hits album. Looks to be very complete.

Yeah I strongly recommend either picking that up or just going straight to Electro Shock Blues. Here's yet another to link to the now, sadly, defunct music website Stylus Magazine's feature on that record (ESB), Eels-Electro Shock Blues On Second Thought

--Mike

That documentary about his father was really interesting.

I've got to review the new best of and double disc rarities collection and, as much as I like Eels, it's a bit much for one sitting, that's for sure.

Hoping to catch him live soon though, he's coming to my town, though it's an all seated event.

i've heard some of his stuff, saw Levity (which he did the score for) and bought Blinking Lights when it came out. i think Blinking might be better as a single disc. i'm a sucker for free t-shirt deals, so i pre-ordered through the site to get both new releases plus the shirt. they don't call it 'free,' but the price is the same as both releases combined.

one of the songs off of Blinking had the exact chord changes of a very popular song - i'll have to get it out to know the title. some sounded very Beck. there are some very nice songs though and the instrumentals are cool.

i've heard some of his stuff, saw Levity (which he did the score for) and bought Blinking Lights when it came out. i think Blinking might be better as a single disc. i'm a sucker for free t-shirt deals, so i pre-ordered through the site to get both new releases plus the shirt. they don't call it 'free,' but the price is the same as both releases combined.

one of the songs off of Blinking had the exact chord changes of a very popular song - i'll have to get it out to know the title. some sounded very Beck. there are some very nice songs though and the instrumentals are cool.

Yeah I love the majority of Blinking Lights but there probably are a few songs that could have been scaled back, I feel that way about several Eels albums actually with the exception being Electro Shock Blues. I also enjoy their bootleg concerts quite a bit and I have yet another link worth checking it out if you have the time/motivation/hard drive space Eels Tour Collectons

--Mike

for a single listening i love "eels with strings". it's gorgeous. for some reason, it's being a live show keeps it from getting insular.

worth mentioning: this year at the largo holiday send off shows E did a spoken word rendition of "raspberry beret" with jon brion. he is just that rad. :love

After listening to Meet the Eels I realize I have underestimated Mr. E. I guess I never gave him much chance because he sounded like a gruffier Beck and the amount of profanity he used. I heard songs here and there, but this is the first time to listen to the songs on headphones. I didn't realize how ambitious sonically he was. It's pretty crazy that Novacaine was ever a hit really. Blinking Lights isn't really that ambitious sonically, so hearing some of the other stuff he's done is an eyeopener. Now I'm wanting to hear the other albums.

I just listened through Disc One of Blinking Lights. I think it's quite good. Going Fetal is essentially What I Like About You and I've never been crazy about that song. The lyrics of the first verse of The Other Shoe make me cringe, but the build up at the end is nice. Other than that I like it. Trim those two tracks and you'd still have 15 tracks / 42, 43 mins or so.

After listening to Meet the Eels I realize I have underestimated Mr. E. I guess I never gave him much chance because he sounded like a gruffier Beck and the amount of profanity he used. I heard songs here and there, but this is the first time to listen to the songs on headphones. I didn't realize how ambitious sonically he was. It's pretty crazy that Novacaine was ever a hit really. Blinking Lights isn't really that ambitious sonically, so hearing some of the other stuff he's done is an eyeopener. Now I'm wanting to hear the other albums.

I just listened through Disc One of Blinking Lights. I think it's quite good. Going Fetal is essentially What I Like About You and I've never been crazy about that song. The lyrics of the first verse of The Other Shoe make me cringe, but the build up at the end is nice. Other than that I like it. Trim those two tracks and you'd still have 15 tracks / 42, 43 mins or so.

Yeah Blinking Lights reminds me a lot of the White Album, certainly not on the same level of quality, but there are some great songs, some songs are pretty good and then ones that don't work at all. The one you really need to check out is Electro Shock Blues, now downloading albums for free off the internet is illegal and immoral and you certainly shouldn't check your Personal message inbox for a link to Electro Shock Blues.

--Mike