Here's a bit of odd news

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They really should've given the media more material to work with, though. I mean, you can only go so far with 70s hairstyles. And nobody even mentioned the jheri curl.

Edit: Never mind. According to wikipedia, jheri curl is early 80s.

This is the most hilarious news story of the last 20-30 years. I laughed all night watching CNN. I can't believe they actually blew some up. Phattest of propers to the comic sensibilities of the Boston city government.

$2Mil is Bull Shit. Oh well.

I don't know what's funnier the fact tht the city went ape-shit or that every news channel had images of the moonites flipping the bird on screen for 5-10 minutes at a crack. Of course if they had blurred out the offending gesture it would have been funnier.

They've started doing that now.

I tell you, I never knew American mass media to be such comic geniuses!

ATLANTA - The head of the Cartoon Network resigned Friday following a marketing stunt that caused a security scare in Boston.

The announcement about Jim Samples resigning was made in an internal memo sent to Cartoon Network staffers.

In a statement to employees, Samples said he regrets the stir that the stunt caused.

"It's my hope that my decision allows us to put this chapter behind us and get back to our mission of delivering unrivaled original animated entertainment for consumers of all ages," Samples said.

Samples said he felt "compelled to step down, effective immediately, in recognition of the gravity of the situation that occurred under my watch."

A replacement for Samples, who had been with the company for 13 years, was not immediately announced.

The Cartoon Network is a division of Atlanta-based Turner Broadcasting, whose parent is media giant Time Warner Inc.

On Monday, Turner Broadcasting and an advertising agency agreed to pay $2 million in compensation for planting blinking electronic devices around the Boston area in a publicity stunt that set off a terrorism scare.

The agreement between Turner, Interference Inc. and several state and local agencies resolves any potential civil or criminal claims against the two companies.

Bomb squads were called in and bridges and highways were shut down Jan. 31 when authorities found more than three dozen electronic boards depicting a boxy cartoon character giving the finger.

The devices

Was this really a bomb hoax or simply a misunderstanding? I don't understand why people are being held accountable for a response they did not intend and could not have forseen (if that's the case).

It's possible that someone involved in the operation called in the scare because they weren't getting the attention that they originally hoped.

If this is true, then that's another matter entirely.