New Sea and Cake Album May 8

From the P-Forkster:

Back. Street's. Back. Alright! Oh, wait-- wrong "Everybody". Whoops! Guess I just had boy bands on the brain. But Chicago indie institution the Sea and Cake? They're a man band.

They've got experience, having played together for nearly 15 years, and they've got fidelity, having stuck with hometown label Thrill Jockey since the beginning. Come May 8, Thrill Jockey will serve up yet another Sea and Cake testament to raging manliness, the quartet's seventh album to date: Everybody.

Everybody follows up 2003's One Bedroom and features the tried-and-true lineup of vocalist/guitarist Sam Prekop (Dracula), guitarist Archer Prewitt (mummy), bassist Erik Claridge (Frankenstein monster), and drummer John McEntire (werewolf). What they may lack in synchronized dance moves, they more than make up for with sparkling, graceful arrangements and thoughtful songwriting.

Despite Prekop's best intentions, Everybody contains-- like every Sea and Cake album before it-- exactly 10 songs. Unlike the band's previous LPs, this one was recorded with some help from sound engineer Brian Paulson (Wilco, Slint) at Michigan's Key Club. It was "like a little rock'n'roll boot camp," Prekop told Pitchfork earlier this month.

As previously reported, Cakers Prekop and McEntire are slowly piecing together a electronic record, while Prekop also has a book of photography on the way. Expect the Sea and Cake to hit the road this spring to rock your body right.

Everybody:

01 Up on Crutches

02 Too Strong

03 Crossing Line

04 Middlenight

05 Coconut

06 Exact to Me

07 Lightning

08 Introducing

09 Left On

10 Transparent

Count me as excited for this one. I missed the announcement that these guys were recording again before, so this was a pleasant surprise to find. This year is definitely just full of releases that I have high hopes for.

sweet!

hey any one know where I can get some shrimp boat? I can't find anything on ebay. Shrimp Boat = Sam Prekop's first band.

Did you go to Amazon.com?? There is still Shrimpboat still in print. And if you search even some of the out of print stuff can still be had. I managed to find both of them used at various times. the Shrimpboat box set Something Grand is quite nice actually. Both Duende and Cavale, which are out of print are available from dealers on Amazon for under $10 each. Scoop them up while they are still available.

The first album (which I don't own) is also available on reissue both new and used.

LouieB

thanks. I haven't looked that intestively just browsed at shops and checked ebay every now and then. Did they release anything in LP format?

hmm I just noticed you spelled it w/o spaces. that could be the reason I have had bad luck finding stuff online.

thanks. I haven't looked that intestively just browsed at shops and checked ebay every now and then. Did they release anything in LP format?

hmm I just noticed you spelled it w/o spaces. that could be the reason I have had bad luck finding stuff online.

Hey I gave you everything you need to find the entire catalogue..go get it already....and yes it is one word. You will find it all sort of low fi/DIY kind of music. These guys were not the world's greatest musicians, but their unique take on stuff is what makes them interesting. I would also check out the Coctails, which is ARcher Prewitt's first group. They have a similar lowfi-DIY vibe,but sometimes more interesting ideas. Their box set that came out a year or so ago is equally as good or maybe a bit better.

The packaging on both box sets is pretty cool and the CD versions of their albums are pretty available as well. The vinyl of both these groups is hard to find.

These groups are all sort of interconnected with Eleventh Dream Day and spread of the other post-rock groups such as Tortoise and the Chicago Improvisors. Chicago has been very lucky. (I would even go so far as to say Wilco took a page or two from these groups playbooks....)

LouieB