Ok, this isn't really related to Wilco's music, which is why I posted in here

But I was listening to "Laminated Cat," which mentions "a unified theory of everything." And it got me thinking. There is a branch of philosophy that maintains that everythign in the universe -- water, air, the trees, everything -- was meant only for human use and consumption. I think it may be called the Theory of Everything, but I cannot recall the name of it.

OK, you philosophy majors, here's a chance to put that degree to use!

Thanks for your help!

But I was listening to "Laminated Cat," which mentions "a unified theory of everything." And it got me thinking. There is a branch of philosophy that maintains that everythign in the universe -- water, air, the trees, everything -- was meant only for human use and consumption. I think it may be called the Theory of Everything, but I cannot recall the name of it.

I think that, in ethics, something like that is called moral subjectivism? But it's not that stuff was "meant" for human use and only human use, it's that without humans, nothing else holds any value. So it might not be that at all.

"The Theory of Everything" is the as-yet-discovered master formula of the universe which would make quantum theory mesh with relativity, I think.

Pretty much. But, as they stand now, Quantum theory and Relativity are mutually exclusive. -- With their current definitions only one can be correct. A unified theory of everything might not include relativity or quantum mechanics. But you're right, the unified theory of everything would be a formula or a series of formulas that can accurately describe the physical nature of the universe.

We still need to figure out what gravity is first.

Here are some lyrics I wrote a couple of years ago that touches on the subject - waxing a little poetic and philosophical:

Eloquence and Elegance

Are over rated

In America

Understanding makes people fall in love

And stay in love. Am I yours?

Something tells me we don't have a clue

Something tells me I don't belong to you

Well I wonder

If Einstein was right

Then we're stuck here tonight all alone

If Einstein was right -- thats not right

I sure hope he was wrong