Wilco Songbook-on sale on WilcoWorld

I don't know if this has already been posted/discussed, but if you go to the store on Wilcoworld, they're selling a songbook with guitar and piano tabs for a bunch of Wilco songs for about $25. Looks like it's about 4-5 songs from each album, so you get a nice range of songs to look at. I've got my fingers crossed that they've transcribed the solo for "I'm the Man...", it's one of the songs in the book so hopefully that's the case.

• 7 months later...
Guest Left Arm Tan
I would love to buy this, but are you sure this is in TAB format? The description doesn't say so.

Robert

according to some reviews on amazon.com, this book sucks. they say it's just basic chord listings, no tabs. a good start, but not what you want if you're looking for lead parts or pickin' tabs, etc... i haven't seen it myself, but it sounds disappointing.

• 3 months later...

yeah, i found it on half.com a while back and it is of no help whatsoever. you're better off just learning the tunes by ear - it'll be better for you in the long run as a musician anyways.

it was really obviously transcribed by a piano player who has no interest in wilco whatsoever, and all you get are chord shapes, no tab. i thought it would be helpful to learn some of jay / mikael / pat's tasty keys parts, but it is really a crappy book. my 0.02 USD.

yeah, i found it on half.com a while back and it is of no help whatsoever. you're better off just learning the tunes by ear - it'll be better for you in the long run as a musician anyways.

it was really obviously transcribed by a piano player who has no interest in wilco whatsoever, and all you get are chord shapes, no tab. i thought it would be helpful to learn some of jay / mikael / pat's tasty keys parts, but it is really a crappy book. my 0.02 USD.

I borrowed a copy from a friend just to check it out. I play piano, and I don't think it's any more useful for piano than it is for guitar. It's just the basic melody and some chords. It's nothing like the keyboard parts on the actual songs.

At best, I'd say the book can get you started on figuring out the songs. But the tabs and chord sheets I've seen people post on this site are generally better that what you'd get in the book. I tend to just use the chord sheets as a guide, then listen to the recordings a million times and try to pick out what the keys are doing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
So, it says this book is for piano and guitar. What if you don't want to play the guitar part, will just a solo piano sound good or no?

Nope, playing this solo on piano as it's written would sound like a third grade piano recital version of the songs. Just the vocal melody with basic chords--not a real piano arrangement.

At best, the book could give you a sense of what the chords are, but you'd have to use those as a starting point for your own arrangement if you want to make it sound good. So it's really no more helpful for a piano player sheets with the just chords and lyrics.

But that's pretty much the case with every book like this that I've ever seen for rock and folk stuff.