Tapes 'n Tapes w/ Chuck Klosterman

Okay, so I just got back from the Tapes 'n Tapes / Chuck Klosterman show at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul, MN.

In case that sounds weird...it was. The night consisted of Tapes 'n Tapes playing three sets and between the sets was pop-culture critic/author Chuck Klosterman sitting on a cozy chair and answering painfully lame questions from Minnesota Public Radio personality Mary Lucia. Boy was she annoying. Klosterman handled her bonehead questions extemely well, I thought, and made the $15 dollars well worth it. He is quite entertaining and I recommend his books (if you haven't read his interview with Tweedy days before entering rehab then you should take a break from calling yourself a Wilco fan until you have) But the real treat of the night was Tapes 'n Tapes. What a fantastic band. Believe the hype. They're about to embark on a national tour and if their show isn't already sold out wherever you are, then get a ticket NOW and start counting down the days on your calendar. The band is about to finish the songs for their next, highly anticipated, album and will be featuring the new songs on the tour. Unfortunately, they didn't play new stuff tonight, but the songs from their first record (The Lune) were on display in a way I will assume they never have been before (and maybe never will again). The sound in the theater was phenomenal and brought out the slightest nuances of their blissful rock.

Taste that.

honestly, that was one of the weaker Tapes sets i've seen in the last few years... the sound was awful where i was sitting (Josh's guitar amp was buzzing really badly and Erik's bass amp was crackling) and they were noticeably rusty.

their set at First Ave at the end of December was absolutely incredible though.

but yes, Chuck was awesome, and while i like Mary, sometimes she def can be annoying, for sure.

You're right about the sound, actually...I heard the buzzing, too. I just liked how they seemed to play to the atmosphere. It was so quiet in there and the audience tamed by the seats, the band - though they were noticably rusty - seemed to bring out some of the sounds in those songs that get lost when they play somewhere like a sold-out First Ave. I really liked how you could hear every note on the keys, for instance. I was at First Ave in December, too, and agree that it was a better show.