I am looking into buying one and I was wondering if anyone would know a place in the Chicagoland area where I could get one somewhat less 2,500 or 2,000?

I saw one on craigslist a couple weeks ago, It was a 65 the guy had no idea what it was and wanted 1k for it. Listed it as a family hand me down "acoustic guitar". Since I didn't have 1k i pointed him to the gibson blue book..

anyway, keep your eyes on craigslist, they pop up once in a while, check out chicago music exchange if you have the money or that vintage guitar place on lincoln near western or really, just buy a new larrivee at the old town school music store yay.

You can find newer model J-45's for just under your price range at any of the stores already mentioned. I'd add Make N' Music to the list and Guitar Center (cringe) because they always have them in stock. I'd test drive a few before buying because J-45's can be hit or miss. Although, some of the reissues coming out of Bozeman (where they are made) have been pretty consistent in my opinion. If you're going vintage, Chicago Music Exchange on Lincoln just north of Belmont always have a few on hand (that's where I've bought mine actually).

If you're at all interested, I'm thinking about selling my Gibson J-45 pretty soon to thin the herd and would be happy to let you take a look (I live in Chicago) before I test the waters on various guitar buy/sell forums. It's a 60's reissue J-45 in cherry sunburst with a K&K pickup installed. It's a limited edition model with only 72 of them made in 2004. It's sweet, but I'm biased and you'd have to check for yourself.

More interestingly, the guitar is fresh from playing with Tweedy at last weekend's living room show. If you sift through the 2/24/07 Jeff Tweedy Living Room concert pics in the After the Show section you can see pics of the guitar. PM if you're interested. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...